If you could only rebuild one, which would you choose? (au9500, au717, au9900)

JoshHendi

^ElectroNerd^
So the title should give you a hint on where Im goin with this... I have all three, and all three are all original. All three work good and sound good, but know that they could all use at least a recap considering their age. I only have the funds to currently get one recapped/refurbed, maybe two depending on what kind of deal I work out with my tech.

As far as right now, according to my ears, speakers, and their current shape, I'd go 9500, 9900, 717. I have not heard either of these three that have been brought up to spec, so not 100% on current condition, and what they will sound like when done!

I listen to mainly acoustic music and bass heavy music, but listen to everything really...

So I am curious on to which of the three everyone would choose? Maybe rank them in order of your priority?

People here rave about the 717 - seems like a good amp, it will also be kind of easy to work on (apart from the powersupply/relay board, which is a bitch to remove). I have a recapped 9900 and I LOVE it - but there is an intermittent fault in the pre-section PCB's (of which there are many) causing one channel to drop out now and then - I havent found the fault yet and this amp is fairly complex inside - not sure if I will ever locate the fault (so my point here is, if something goes wrong, it could be hard to find in this amp). The 9500 looks like a great amp to work on, however I think that there are differing opinions on the sound of this amp on AK.

My preference would be Sansui AU-717. I lived with a little AU-217 in my bedroom a while back and it was outstanding and I would prefer it over many of the 'higher level' sansui.

The AU-9900 looks interesting too although I don't have listening experience. Looks a bit more complicated inside to work on than the 717, so depending on your level of expertise that could factor in. The 9500 reminds me of some gear in the lab :)

I don't have experience with the 9500. I've avoided it because of comments on the tonal quality not matching to what I like (warm sound). But if you like the tone, you could consider it seriously.. it looks not too bad to work on.

People here rave about the 717 - seems like a good amp, it will also be kind of easy to work on (apart from the powersupply/relay board, which is a bitch to remove). I have a recapped 9900 and I LOVE it - but there is an intermittent fault in the pre-section PCB's (of which there are many) causing one channel to drop out now and then - I havent found the fault yet and this amp is fairly complex inside - not sure if I will ever locate the fault (so my point here is, if something goes wrong, it could be hard to find in this amp). The 9500 looks like a great amp to work on, however I think that there are differing opinions on the sound of this amp on AK.

I am surprised to read that lots of people prefer the 717 over the 9500. Now owning all three and putting in some critical listening, the 717 would be third on my list. I'd say the 9900 barely beats out the 9500, but that is my ears with my pieces. I am tucking away the tax refund and as much as I can to get all three recapped and back up to spec.

You bet Ill be posting some thorough findings after listening to all three critically after they are up to spec. I guess I will probably sell the one that I like the least, which should cover all of my costs on the work.

I would go the 9900 way. It's a fine amp , close to au 717 , but sweeter , in my opinion . 9500 is a kind of strange sound amp. Not bad , but not exactly the sansui kind of sound. So if you want it in a priority series , 9900, 717, 9500.

Back
Top Bottom