Extremely Rare Sansui HPR 200 Tube Pre-Amp.

Its so weird I love it. I spent days trying to research this model. Even the japan search engines had nothing. At least people can find it here on AK. Funny 1 thing I found was a post made by bluesky about this model some years back. Fever

Finding information about or photos of 1950-1959 gear is very difficult. Finding the same on 40s Sansui is darn near impossible. Both usually found 'quite by accident' really. You sure won't find it 'looking for it'.

You usually find the information, and sometimes maybe photo(s), by 'total calculated accident' while looking for other Sansui items on Japanese search engines like Biglobe like fever uses. - and also using translation programs which can take quite a bit of deciphering at times.

'Super Fine' pre-amp fever!!! Not many of those still around... anywhere in the world, and yours 'looks' factory fresh. :thmbsp:

Last edited:
Sansui pre

Great looking piece J Fever. Congratulations on picking it up.
On the selector, mag I'm assuming means phono, but what is x-tal for? I like that it has the EQ curves as well - I'd like to have a feature like that for 78's. Hope you enjoy it once you get it up and running
Mike

I have one of the 1959 Sansui SM-80 simulcast stereo receivers, with sweep tube output, it's quirky 1950s styling earned an award. I think it may be the first Sansui product with transistors, in the phono section like the 1000 and 1000A.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

The back offers a RCA jack for X-TAL & MAG, It also has 2 screw lock type lugs

Attachments

• IMG_2000.jpg
    IMG_2000.jpg
    37 KB · Views: 61
Xtal is "Crystal", an early version of the ceramic phono cartridge that used a piezo-electric crystal: a genuine crystal of potassium sodium tartrate. The salt is hygroscopic and did not last. The ceramic using barium titanate became the universal piezo material of 'crystal' cartridges, still used today.
Mag is obviously Magnetic, a moving-magnet phono catridge.

A & E would be Antenna and Earth, for the radio tuner.

Last edited:
I couldn't of said it any better lol. You guys amaze me with your wealth of knowledge. And that goes for you to Bluesky

Last edited:
Xtal is "Crystal", an early version of the ceramic phono cartridge that used a piezo-electric crystal: a genuine crystal of potassium sodium tartrate. The salt is hygroscopic and did not last. The ceramic using barium titanate became the universal piezo material of 'crystal' cartridges, still used today.
Mag is obviously Magnetic, a moving-magnet phono catridge.

A & E would be Antenna and Earth, for the radio tuner.

Interesting an AM tuner but no FM. I had assumed a superhet but don't see an IF filter xformer, if not mebbe 2-circuit active TRF with a germanium diode detector buried somewhere.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

Last edited:
The tube list says Sansui offered the FM-7 tuner in 1957. They also offered preamps with tuners but no mention on it being AM or FM. I have a FM-5 that unit came out in 1958 I believe

The tube list says Sansui offered the FM-7 tuner in 1957. They also offered preamps with tuners but no mention on it being AM or FM. I have a FM-5 that unit came out in 1958 I believe

Kind of forgot about when Sansui's first FM equipment, the FM-7 & FM-5, was made, slipped by me. :) 1957/1958... there you go. :thmbsp:

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom