5000A/X vs. Eight??

ethangsmith

Hi folks,

I've done some digging on the search function but haven't found an answer to my question. I have a 5000A and I love it- warm, bassy, punchy. I am looking to supplement it with either an Eight or 5000X. How would you compare/contrast the sound and function of the Eight (Not Eight Deluxe!) to the 5000A/X?? Is one superior to the other?

-Ethan.

No takers. Nuts.

So let's go with this: What is the same, if anything, and what is different between the 5000X and Eight? It looks like both are cap-coupled units.

Ill take a stab - I have owned an Eight and have a 4000. The x000 series are cap coupled and an older design than the Eight, which is direct coupled. However they both share a quasi complementary output config, as does the xx1 series. The Quasi vs. full complementary only refers to the output devices. In a quasi, all the outputs are same polarity - NPN. Reliable PNP outputs were not readily available and reliable before 1972'ish, albeit drivers and signal transistors were.

The Eight will likely sound a tad more clean, tight and punchy, whereas the 5000 will have a cap coupled sound that lends itself to a warm, expansive but a little less focused sound stage. I'd imagine they are both comparable - here the era probably has more say than the topology.

Last edited:
Cool. Thanks for the info. I thought it was the Eight Deluxe only that had the more modern internal setup. Interesting that the Eight also does. It's tough trying to decide whether I want to pick up an Eight or 5000X. All I know is I absolutely love my 5000A and 2000X.

Eight is a quasi complementary design.
Eight Deluxe is a full complementary design.
So deluxe is newer design not the plain eight.
Still though eight might sound better, than deluxe. It sure sounds more clean clear , focused and tempered than the 5000A or 5000X.

Cool. Thanks for the info. I thought it was the Eight Deluxe only that had the more modern internal setup. Interesting that the Eight also does. It's tough trying to decide whether I want to pick up an Eight or 5000X. All I know is I absolutely love my 5000A and 2000X.

If I were to be choosing, I would pick up an Eight, hands down.

I just picked up a 5000, and getting it into shape. I would say Tom and JoMark are right on as far as sound goes.

George.

Thanks for the info guys! How does the 5000A/X units compare to the Eight in the bass department? I love the solid bass my 5000A puts out.

Probably a tad more bloomy bass on the 5000. The Eight doesn't come across as particular warm or bassy, I'd say more like punchy, detailed and musical. Comparing the Eight to the 4000 I do have - I'd second George and say hands down the Eight.

Good to know. I also have a 2000X that seems a tad more articulate than my 5000A, but it still has that solid bass and good punch. This isn't going to be an easy decision!

You've got two receivers there with very similar designs, and - if in comparable condition - similar sound characteristics. I've owned and restored the 4000, the 5000A and 5000X, 2000X and Eight.

In my opinion, the Eight is sonically superior to all of those earlier units. I still own the Eight and the 2000X (and an AU-919). If your goal is to buy another receiver with similar characteristics to the ones you already have, get the 5000X.

On a related note...if you end up pursuing a 5000X, I would recommend that you be sure it has the updated amp boards (the F-6013's). Early versions of the 5000X, and I believe all of the 5000A, used the F-1040. Sansui did a recall on them, but many, many of them were never repaired/upgraded).

I was aware that the 5000A's had them (Mine was done before I bought it) but I didn't know the 5000X's occasionally had them too. Guess I'll have to keep an eye out for that too!

I was aware that the 5000A's had them (Mine was done before I bought it) but I didn't know the 5000X's occasionally had them too. Guess I'll have to keep an eye out for that too!

It was only in the units manufactured early in the 5000X production run....unfortunately, I don't know the date at which they quite using the F-1040. If someone has it, you can use the serial number to determine the production date.

Kinda like cars- running production changes. Gotta love it! I suppose it's not the end of the world if I would scrounge one up with the 1040 boards. I can always have them modified. How much of a danger are unmodified 1040 boards anyway?

Some would say that if they've lasted this long, you are not likely to have problems. But if they do fail, they are a fire hazard.

There are many threads in the Sansui forum addressing how to tell if the boards have been modified (repaired), and how to make the modification (not a job for the casual hobbyist).

I would not chance it running without the mods. According to other post, the leads on the 2sa485 transistor with the bias diode attached to it, would corrode and oxidize.

George.

Yikes. If I were to go the route of getting a 5000A/X, I'll be sure to have the modifications done before use! Even if it's ok and running fine, I don't need a fire in the future.

As noted, only early 5000X units used the older boards. And there were certainly many units repaired under the recall program. But yes, it is certainly a good idea to know what you are getting (old boards, not fixed / old boards, fixed / new boards), and addressed as appropriate.

My two cents: I've not heard the Eight or deluxe. I just want to say newer design isn't always better sounding (to my ears) - don't overlook the 'older' designs. I tend to prefer the cap-coupled designs from the old sansui's. I would be happy with an Eight, deluxe or 5000A/X and would tend to make the purchase choice based on opportunity of finding a piece that fits my cosmetic/function needs, unless you have personally heard the model and know it's what you really want. You can sell it later easily if it isn't quite what you wanted...

Last edited:
I'm finding that I too like the cap-coupled stuff. That's why I am wondering how the Eight would compare as I've never had the opportunity to hear one. Decisions, decisions!

Back
Top Bottom