Sansui Frequently asked, and more...

Have a Sansui RA-500 reverb amp.that has lost it's reverberation sound effect....other wise everything else works....would be thankful for any suggestions.

Those are pretty common and not very sought after. You should be able to find one for under $50.

- Pete

My Sansui 9090 is pretty old but it still plays... I want to do a complete recap (perhaps without tuner board recap) but I am terrified to do it. Any resources or suggestions on a 9090 recap?

Use the search function. There is a ton of information on that receiver. You don't have to do it all at once. Start with a simple board like the tuner power supply or the mic amp.

- Pete

Hello, can someone tell me how to edit the title for a post?ie I posted Sansui 1000x and meant 1000a in the Exclusively Sansui forum. Thanks.

One of the moderators will have to do that for you. Just send them a private message asking for assistance.

Can someone please explain why there's three Sansui AU-X1's for sale and everyone of them is saying, "Not tested, sold as is for parts"???

How hard is it to test it. Is it because of the issues with the X1 once the unit is sold the sellers doesn't want the unit returned etc?

Last edited:
Well, yeah. These guy are picking them up at yard sales and what not for a quick flip. They aren't techs, and they aren't going to pay a tech to check one out. Or worse, they'll try working on it themselves and torch the outputs.

I think it is also to drive home the point that these are as-is where-is. No return, no exchange, no warranty, no kidding. I don't sell on ebay at all but understand from others that dispute resolution is tilted heavily in the buyers favor. So, the seller wants to be extra clear in their listings so there can't be any dispute by the buyer later on about just what was on offer.

Of course, non-tech sellers probably often make the mistake of damaging a vintage unit by just plugging it in with no variac, then see the magic smoke and realize they screwed the pooch.

Kevin

Sansui 555A owner here seeking some advice: last couple of weeks, my amp started to give occasional blips and pops even when no music is passing through. Since it began the sound seems to have gone a tad muted.

Can anyone tell what is likely happening and what repairs I need?

I would DeOxit the pots and switches.(volume,bass,treble,etc..) Theres a thread on AK somewhere showing you how to do it.

Thanks for the tip. So likely a rust or oxidation issue? That would explain the noise but would that affect the sound? Sorry I'm not electronically trained, so I'm imagining something more serious is wrong...

Its the most likely cause from oxidised metal in the pot (rust) which is conductive.The DeOxit is supposed to reduce the oxide back to metal. Other than that it could be a diode,or a transistor failing?

Diode, transistor. Got it. But I'll try DeOxit first and hope that all the amp needs. Thanks again!

Sansui 555A owner here seeking some advice: last couple of weeks, my amp started to give occasional blips and pops even when no music is passing through. Since it began the sound seems to have gone a tad muted.

Can anyone tell what is likely happening and what repairs I need?

There are also some transistors in there that dont age well known as the 'flying saucer transistors', they could also cause the symptoms you are describing. Replacements for these are not expensive, there several threads on AK about which can be used. You have to open her up to see if they are in there, in later versions of the 555A dont have them anymore. See pic. I

Attachments

• saucer.jpg
    saucer.jpg
    19.3 KB · Views: 37
Hi guys, a question not worth starting a new thread just yet: I just noticed that I lost all bass on the right channel with my Sansui CA-2000/BA-2000. Assuming its not the speaker (will check that first) where do you think I should look first?

Bias current.

Speaker connections
Relay contacts
Switch contacts
Interconnects

Last edited:
Thanks John, I'll start with those. :beatnik: Its been couple of years since I adjusted the bias so thats the first one to tackle.

So, checked the bias and it had drifted on the right channel. Adjusted it but no joy. Replaced the right speaker with something else, problem disappeared. Measured and the woofer is blown...damn... Did it go because the bias was no longer correct? Who knows, but maybe I'll check it annually or even more often on these unrestored amps from now on. Now I need to find a new woofer from somewhere...

Thanks.

Well bias itself can not do that to a woofer. No way my friend. Obviously something else happened. Or it was time that woofer give up the spirit. I use a BA2K for driving my tweeters on my multi amp speakers and apart from a faulty relay , nothing else bothered me. I changed all electrolytics just to have peace of mind. I had bias cranked up , by error. Nothing ever happened . So by no means blame the bias . You can fix the woofer by rewinding it . There must be some guys in your country.

Yes not bias itself as such - I guess bias problems usually fry transistors. But as the BA2K has no adjustable DC offset I am unfamiliar what happens to that when bias is wrong? Or is it a non issue with the amps with non adjustable dc offset?

I occasionally do make guitar pickups so I have the gear and some experience to winding. But, the videos I looked at about fixing woofers basically destroyed the cones and required replacements. If I cannot find a new woofer then its very unlikely I can get any spares for it too. And also I can't figure out the wind specs. The small woofer in question is Usher 5201W.

Back
Top Bottom