Sansui SR-717 turntable needs speed fix

waxdandy

Hi everyone,

I hope someone will be able to help on this one ... :scratch2:

I just bought on ebay a Sansui SR 717 turntable. It's in great condition, and I'd really love to keep it but....
The only (major) issue is the speed control knobs: when I select 33rpm, it keeps going back to 45rpm, as if there was some weight on the 45 selector. And I also have to push hard down on the 33 until I hear the connecting/contacting click.
I tried to open the plastic plate by unscrewing the 6 screws but I couldn't manage. I can't figure out how to open that thing, so I can't see what's going wrong beneath...

Please see the video I took:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ur5F-9lHGmw

Please help!! thanking you very much in advance.

Hi Balifly,
I already downloaded the manual but didn't really bring any answers unfortunately, reason why I came here in despair!
Thanks anyway!

Does anyone know this problem?

I don't have one, but from looking at the manual, it looks like the knob/microswitch for the 33 setup isn't locking when pushed down, and either the knob shaft is worn(unlikely) or the end of the microswitch button is fractured causing a partial engagement and then a change in speed.

Larry

I don't have one, but from looking at the manual, it looks like the knob/microswitch for the 33 setup isn't locking when pushed down, and either the knob shaft is worn(unlikely) or the end of the microswitch button is fractured causing a partial engagement and then a change in speed.

Larry

I'd love to see what's happening underneath this black plate (#49 on the manual), but even after having unscrewed the 6 screws (marked #48), I still can't manage to open it. Once done, I'll be able to spray some Deoxit as Balifly kindly suggested.
Do you have an idea why it's not opening? or do I have to access it from the bottom instead of the top?

Thanks!

I'd love to see what's happening underneath this black plate (#49 on the manual), but even after having unscrewed the 6 screws (marked #48), I still can't manage to open it. Once done, I'll be able to spray some Deoxit as Balifly kindly suggested.
Do you have an idea why it's not opening? or do I have to access it from the bottom instead of the top?

Thanks!

Yes, you have to access it from the bottom.

* Remove the headshell or at least safe guard the cartridge/stylus.

* Secure and tie down the tone arm.

* Remove the platter.

* Cushion the left and right side of the upside down turntable with pillows or other suitable objects.

Just be gentle, good luck!:music:

Hi
I managed to have access to the switch from beneath and here is what's happening.
When i push the 33 knob, it pushes a button/switch that changes speed to 33. The problem is that this button is too "strong" and pushes back up the 33 knob, hence the speed going back to 45rpm. I just can't seem to figure out why this button is "rejecting" the 33 knob.
I could compare it to a door bell that goes back to off position once you remove your finger, because of a spring inside of the button, avoiding the button to be in an on position and the bell to ring contininuously.

Any suggestion will be very much appreciated!!
Thanks.

If possible post some pictures of the area involved and in particular the button.

Some of the knowledgeable members may be able to help in that regard.

BTW, have you try spraying DeOxit into the switch ?:scratch2:

In the mean time you can check the following site to see if there is a replacement part (button/switch).

http://www.sansui-parts-shop.com/index.php?page=main

Good hunting!:music:

Perhaps you should consider having this post move over to the turn table forum.

Hi,

So here's a picture of I can see from underneath.
Can you see the red microswitch?
I hope this helps...

thanks!

Attachments

• sansui switch.jpg
    sansui switch.jpg
    79 KB · Views: 79
The screw on the right side of the see-saw. Adjust that one way or the other a 1/8 to 1/4 turn at a time until you get it to stay put on 33 when the button is pushed.

Hi,

So here's a picture of I can see from underneath.
Can you see the red microswitch?
I hope this helps...

thanks!

I know this is a two year old thread, but I have the same issue, and this is with a NOS (New Old Stock) SR-717. Did you fix the issue by adjusting the screw as Larry suggested?

Sansui 717 crazy speed

i have seen many posts online and vids on youtube about unstable speeds of the Sansui 717. Speeds up and down to almost "turbine" speed at 45 rpm. The obvious is always to deox the speed pots first. Then the varistors on the circuit board. If it is not enough, desolder the wires to the pots themselves and take resistance measurments.
I have done that and took it apart do discover than the pots themselves were bad. Common on these tables I guess. I have changed the pots and the speeds are perfect (after a few adjustments)
Hint: if the pots turn easily, with little resistance, it is a bad sign. You should feel some resistance to the twisting.
Good luck

Back
Top Bottom