Tuning dial out when AUX or Phono is engaged

ChicagoTom

AK Subscriber
Subscriber
I'm a shallow, shallow man. I do not listen to FM, and if I were rational, I'd only have integrated amps. But I am total sucker for aesthetics, and love that tuner dial glow.

Hence my disappointment when I realized that the tuner dial on my Sansui 800 (and my Sherwood S-7200 as well) goes dark when I am in AUX or phono mode - which is 99% of the time.

So I've got 2 questions. First, is this "feature" on ALL Sansuis of that era (1000X, 2000X, 221 through 771, the Six - one of which I'd like to buy)? And secondly, is it feasible to rewire them so that the tuner dial always lights up when the power is on, no matter what function has been selected?

Thanks for your advice!

That preserves the bulbs when not in use.

800 is a very good sounding 22wpc receiver for relatively high efficiency speakers.

881 and 9090DB always glows , don't really know about other models you quote.

It's a standard feature on all the 2000 models. You will have a FUNCTION light lit for PHONO, PHONO 2 (if it has Phono 2), AUX.

And yes it's feasible to rewire so the dial lamps stay on all the time. There is a thread on the forum that details it for the I believe the x0x0 series. But if you have the schematic for the specific model you get, you should be able to rewire the dial lamps to come on and stay on continuously.

Thanks mroboto, I am thinking of keeping my 800 and recapping it. But it doesn't have a wood case, and like I said, I am a shallow shallow man.

Thanks very much, larry! I will look for that thread you mentioned. It's great to know this is do-able/ (I was interested in a recappd Sherwood S-7100A on the 'bay, but the seller told me that rewiring this unit would be difficult and he'd have to charge $200, so that made me worry it would be equally difficult/expensive with a Sansui).

On the x0x0 models it's a matter of moving one wire on a molex connector. If the guy is going to charge $200 for that, he's a shyster.

On the 800, you need to jumper the S1(Function SELECTOR) switch (sections G and H, which is the 4th wafer counting from the front of the unit. g is front side and h is back side) from the wiper to either of pins 2 or 3. Follow the wire back from pl001 (meter lamp) to the switch. Figure out which pin the wiper is on, and jumper that to the wire on the lamps. Do for both sides. Turn on the unit, and the lamps should be on all the time.

On the x0x0 models it's a matter of moving one wire on a molex connector. If the guy is going to charge $200 for that, he's a shyster.

FYI, this was for his Sherwood S-7100A, not a Sansui.

On the 800, you need to jumper the S1(Function SELECTOR) switch (sections G and H, which is the 4th wafer counting from the front of the unit. g is front side and h is back side) from the wiper to either of pins 2 or 3. Follow the wire back from pl001 (meter lamp) to the switch. Figure out which pin the wiper is on, and jumper that to the wire on the lamps. Do for both sides. Turn on the unit, and the lamps should be on all the time.

THIS is great info, thank you VERY much!:thmbsp:

Sansui or Sherwood it still goes thru a switch. Bypassing a switch shouldn't cost $200.
This is for the Sherwood. You should add a fuse also. But $200 is too high.
attachment.php

Attachments

• ScreenHunter_112 Nov. 20 17.56.jpg
    ScreenHunter_112 Nov. 20 17.56.jpg
    24.9 KB · Views: 39
Back
Top Bottom