I'm debating getting a 5500

desertlizard

I already have a 771 and a 5000x would like an 8080 but hard to justify the price right now, anyway there's a clean 5500 near by and seems tempting any input?
Im hopelessly hooked on sansui's
Thanks
DL

I've been looking out for a 5500 also based on this little blurb I found on the interwebs: Select 45 r.p.m. Vintage HiFi Info

Interesting. 1971, 55w. Seen one from an Italian seller looks impressive, Inside pretty much like the Sansui 5000 but amp boards caged & a bit more of a ground shield between tuner & the caps and power amp. 55w rated to us, but 45w showing the amp is limited like the 5000 was, ie very low on deep bass. Still Capacitor Coupled so a 1970 design. Tone x3, Power Amp x7 transistors so likely quite similar overall to the 5000 if it has a lot more buttons & finally gets away from the lousy Aux through Phono board idea that limits the 4000 & 5000.

In other words, get it! :thmbsp:

I'm going on saturday, I never seem to find the deals most here seem to find but I think price is fair and he bought it new, looks very clean and in working order.
Thanks

I picked it up this morning, first impression, good lord this thing is heavy. I want to be buried with this unit, I am blown away, just amazing so full and with a punch, lush is the best way to describe it and quite loud. It's matched to some HK model 40's and sounds unreal and I haven't even hooked up a TT yet, I want to try with my AR's but having such a blast already.
DL

Glad you picked this up! It's a great unit and you don't see many of them around. Heavy- yes! Like I said, a beast.

Last edited:
The more I listen the more I'm blown away, I cant get over it even at low volume just has the bass u can feel, on top of that its so clean and clear. Just a beautiful unit and nice to just look at, I'd still like an 8080 but I'm very satisfied. I'm going to take my 5000x to work to share the love, haha.
DL

cple pics, granted not the best.
DL

Attachments

• Picture 058.jpg
    Picture 058.jpg
    80.4 KB · Views: 16
  • Picture 061.jpg
    Picture 061.jpg
    66.9 KB · Views: 17
  • Picture 064.jpg
    Picture 064.jpg