Another AU-919 recon

WHOOPS Now I don't feel so bad while wearing my Dr Zarkoff magnifier head gear when doing boards LOL~ ( Me working on an iTouch )

Attachments

• Dr Zarkoff.JPG
    Dr Zarkoff.JPG
    124.7 KB · Views: 36
Last edited:
Hum on L channel PHONO 2 (MM), and loss of R channel AUX cured by reterminating both black ribbon cables where they attach to rear panel sockets.

So the body count for this one is:

95 Electrolytics
32 Black Flags
14 Trimmers
3 Transistors
2 Diodes
1 Diode Bridge
1 Set Speaker Terminals

Very impressive work.. It's good to know there's a Sansui tech expert right here in the UK :thmbsp:

Hum on L channel PHONO 2 (MM), and loss of R channel AUX cured by reterminating both black ribbon cables where they attach to rear panel sockets.

Hi Hyperion, one of my cables had perished from a previous tinker... I have used some old computer IDE cable (MacGyver styles) and replaced this - however I am concerned that it might be too thin of wire gauge, will the dia of an IDE computer hard drive cable suffice for this replacement? and thoughts?

Thank you very much!

See the page towards the end of the recon thread for my AU-919 for a list of differences I found, I expect this one to be no different. See my note in the first post of this thread where I make a commitment to note any additional differences or other peculiarities, should I find any.

Also 'rule of thumb' is to trust the component values/voltages that are in the amp NOW - and not rely on the SM & schematic of which there are only one of each as far as I know. This is why it is SUCH a disaster when someone has been into an amplifier changing things around without knowing what they are doing - it gives you no point of reference.

Hyperion, I completely agree with you on this one, however given that the previous tech who had worked on this has a reputation of complete butchery and previous mistakes noted in his other repairs (long story), is it ideal to STILL take his 'recap' job with complete confidence? For example; on F-2835 board C49 has a replaced 220uF in there, and the SM says 330uF - what to believe??

on F-2839 driver board, there was a replaced 220uF in there where SM states a 470uF should be, 10uF in placed where a 3.3uF should be, and 1uF where a 4.7uF should be (based on following the SM) - again, which is the bible to follow here? follow the SM or trust this 'soup' tech previous recap job?

Reason why I am re-recapping my 919 is simply I do not trust these unknown brand of caps (or the previous workmanship) and also, the soldering work is of poor quality. and lastly, the entire amp had not been entirely recapped.

No, why? there is no need, regarding substitutes I would have to research the availability of originals or suitable discrete JFET's to use instead.

Why is a good question, upon inspecting my unit, I had discovered that one of the 2SK129 FETs package had been replaced with some horrible 7 legged 'substitute' which I have removed. and thus, the reason why I am looking for a discrete substitute as you say.. I read somewhere that these FETs measure 50, 10, 300 - do you have any further ideas on this?

Again, Thank you again for sharing your knowledge and expertise, really appreciate and love your work!!

Daniel

nadstar said:
Why is a good question, upon inspecting my unit, I had discovered that one of the 2SK129 FETs package had been replaced with some horrible 7 legged 'substitute' which I have removed. and thus, the reason why I am looking for a discrete substitute as you say.. I read somewhere that these FETs measure 50, 10, 300 - do you have any further ideas on this?

See this post >>> AU-919 DC offset transistor advice!

Perfect! - all you ever wanted to know about input differential pairs for the AU-919 - or were afraid to ask :D

Great link AUD101. :thmbsp:

I used the same!!

Ceramic Disc NP0/C0G instead of Silver Micas yes?

Yes that's right - I used 100v MLCC NP0/C0G from Mouser.

Hi Hyperion, one of my cables had perished from a previous tinker... I have used some old computer IDE cable (MacGyver styles) and replaced this - however I am concerned that it might be too thin of wire gauge, will the dia of an IDE computer hard drive cable suffice for this replacement? and thoughts?

You should not need change the ribbon leads, as the breaks are usually where they are terminated (soldered to the PCB's). I just unsoldered them, and using a very sharp knife cut away the webbing from the wires (about 5mm or so), cut the webs off with cutters, and used my soldering iron to burn the insulation away from the wire. I did this because stripping that cable is a nightmare, and I wanted to avoid any possibility of 'nicking' the wire with the stripers.

Thank you very much!

Hyperion, I completely agree with you on this one, however given that the previous tech who had worked on this has a reputation of complete butchery and previous mistakes noted in his other repairs (long story), is it ideal to STILL take his 'recap' job with complete confidence? For example; on F-2835 board C49 has a replaced 220uF in there, and the SM says 330uF - what to believe??

on F-2839 driver board, there was a replaced 220uF in there where SM states a 470uF should be, 10uF in placed where a 3.3uF should be, and 1uF where a 4.7uF should be (based on following the SM) - again, which is the bible to follow here? follow the SM or trust this 'soup' tech previous recap job?

Reason why I am re-recapping my 919 is simply I do not trust these unknown brand of caps (or the previous workmanship) and also, the soldering work is of poor quality. and lastly, the entire amp had not been entirely recapped.

There are at least 2 versions of the driver board F-2839 and there are some differences, and I remember the 220/470 issue and the 10/3.3 issue. Regarding the 220µF you mention on the F-2835, it should be 330µF (along with its companion C47, and C48 & C50). AK member scottrt is pretty much an expert with AU-919 versions, I have used his invaluable advice and pictures several times. Maybe shoot him a PM see if he can help? I have a recollection that some of the value differences you quote have been valid for other board versions. This is important - check with Scott first before placing any parts orders. :yes:

Again, Thank you again for sharing your knowledge and expertise, really appreciate and love your work!!

Daniel

This last bit should be answered in full by AUD101's excellent link ;)

Thank you for your kind words. :)

Last edited:

John,
Had the same issue on mine but on Aux. Ended up unsolder, strip-back and re-soldered the ribbon. Did cross mind to replace the delicate cable for a few seconds after a load of swearing.

Must be nearly ready to hand it back to a very grateful pleased owner. Good job.
Mano

John,
Had the same issue on mine but on Aux. Ended up unsolder, strip-back and re-soldered the ribbon. Did cross mind to replace the delicate cable for a few seconds after a load of swearing.

Must be nearly ready to hand it back to a very grateful pleased owner. Good job.
Mano

Yes indeed Mano it is ready now, cleaned, polished and ready to go. Due to your kind gift of parts I have reduced the parts cost accordingly ;) I am hoping Norman, it's owner will be pleased, I think it has come out very well. :smoke:

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom