9090db green protection no sound

SurfWax

So heard some crackling then red lights flashing a bit Now no sound no radio stations pulling in unit lights up looks like it should be fine but nothing. unit comes right out of protection mode also Any ideas?

yes tape Aux phono all nada. Very strange. Ill check under the hood tomorrow check fuses and simple stuff first. Think maybe the speaker wires were crossing in the back as they were close maybe my kids pulling on them

Are the pre out main in conected on the back? They need to be!!!

You also might want to look inside to see if the protection board is in place. It might have been pulled to just use the unit as a preamp.

If the speaker wires were crossed, it would have tripped into protection. If the kids have been pulling on the speaker wires, they may have pulled out of the terminals. Also check the tape monitors, Dolby switch position and speaker switch position. The 9090DB puts pairs of speakers in series. If you have one set of speakers connected and the speaker switch is in an A&B position, you won't get sound.

4-2-7, I don't know of any Sansui model that has a removable protection board. It's hard wired. But it does bring up a new possibility. Some of the 9090DBs had conventional glass fuses on the protection board. If they blow, you won't get output to the speakers.

Also, the earlier production 9090DBs have one ohm, one watt resistors in the power supply circuit. They are prone to go open and when they do, it will give you the exact symptoms you have. But before diving into the electronic, check the basics.

- Pete

If the speaker wires were crossed, it would have tripped into protection. If the kids have been pulling on the speaker wires, they may have pulled out of the terminals. Also check the tape monitors, Dolby switch position and speaker switch position. The 9090DB puts pairs of speakers in series. If you have one set of speakers connected and the speaker switch is in an A&B position, you won't get sound.

4-2-7, I don't know of any Sansui model that has a removable protection board. It's hard wired. But it does bring up a new possibility. Some of the 9090DBs had conventional glass fuses on the protection board. If they blow, you won't get output to the speakers.

Also, the earlier production 9090DBs have one ohm, one watt resistors in the power supply circuit. They are prone to go open and when they do, it will give you the exact symptoms you have. But before diving into the electronic, check the basics.

- Pete
The 8080 DB Has that upright board I think it's F2624 that plugs in. The fusistors go bad on it and throw it into protection mode. If you unpuge it the unit will turn on but it will only be a preamp.

Are these jumpers in place on the rear of the receiver? They carry the signal from the preamplifier section to the power amplifier section inside.

I didn't see where they were checked ... maybe I missed something, just a thought!

9090DB_rear_zps619d8a62.jpg

The 8080 DB Has that upright board I think it's F2624 that plugs in. The fusistors go bad on it and throw it into protection mode. If you unpuge it the unit will turn on but it will only be a preamp.
That's the driver board. If removed the protection LED will be green and you won't get sound.

- Pete

That's the driver board. If removed the protection LED will be green and you won't get sound.

- Pete

Yep that's because you efectivly disconected the power amp side of the unit. But you can run RCA Pre out to another power amp and it will work as a pre amp and tunner at that point, a good one to.

Are these jumpers in place on the rear of the receiver? They carry the signal from the preamplifier section to the power amplifier section inside.

I didn't see where they were checked ... maybe I missed something, just a thought!

9090DB_rear_zps619d8a62.jpg

^this.

Also, make sure the speaker selector is set appropriately.

Have you cleaned the controls with DeoxIT? The initial description sounds a lot like oxidized contacts losing connection.

Back
Top Bottom