CA-3000 Left output channel intermittent

cirtcele

Opened the unit up and started taking voltage readings. I'm using the service manual schematics to find the proper voltages, but i have ran into a different voltage supply than what is stated on the schematics pcb F-2492 shows supply voltage of +15(pin 14) and -15(pin 17) to pin 15 ground. My readings show +29.2 VDC and -29.7 VDC, anyone know if the schematic is wrong or if its supposed to be 15 VDC? The left meter shows input levels when selected to show input level, but when you change the selector to show output level no meter movement. Using my meter on the mV setting i can follow the signal to this pcb with both channels showing input but when i check the outward bound signals from the pcb to the reed switch i only have the right. Thats why i'm concerned with the supply voltage being correct. I plan on using a scope to track the signal later tonight.

Oh yea... this one is a bit weird....
There are 3 boards for the PS regulators...
You have to get a LONG INSULATED probe and poke down to certian pins
AND there is only 1 ADJUSTER for both voltages ( I believe there is a 3 volt spread between the +/- supplies. 2 20 ish volt and 1 45 ish...

Thats where i'm a little confused it looks like the connection diagram is showing the voltage being supplied right off the f-2493 pcb which has no pots. Later i plan on connecting my signal generator to the left aux input 1khz 1v p-p and tracking to find exactly where the signal stops. The other voltages around the unit look ok its just this f- 2492 that worries me.

Oh and back up there a sec F-2492 there are zeners local on the board that give you the +/- 15 local on the board....
That being said your incoming power is a bit high... do the procedure on 3-1..
BTW
Did you inspect the edge connector pins for corrosion?

Plus the 2492 is the meter driver board.... IF it works in input .. power in not your issue.

OH your looking at the trouble shooting block diagram... yeah, that's WRONG..
Just look at that for signal flow.. with a grain of salt

Oh and ( If I'm reading this correctly ) the Reed relay only breaks the RCA jack out the back.... the 3 pin molex right next to the relaay in audio out from the driver board.

BTW do your headphones work?

Have the vias (pass throughs) ever been properly repaired on that unit?

If not, you may be chasing your tail for life.

blhagstrom is 100% correct!

I think there re 3 posts in the old thread that you didn't read cirtcele....
here's the first of 3
Ok lets start with something easy....
Pull the boards one at a time..
On mine, the edge connector pins were silver , not gold ( like in the BA ) .
I had really bad tarnish on ALL these pins, used an xacto knife to scrape the male pins and a dental flossing bristle brush ( super micro size ) for the females...
and I used Cramolin as the contact cleaner
That got rid of ALOT of my intermittant issues.

The OTHER issue os on the MAIN mother board, it is double sided....
The thru holes, connecting the top to the bottom corrode away leaving a HI -Z connection or an open...
My " version " had little pins from the factory already soldered in ( phew ) beause there is like 160 of these feed thru's ( YIKES ) and I had 3 or 4 that had cold solder connections. I had additional issues with the meter driver board as well, but my left meter didn't work .. at all..

So lets start SLOW and do some pin cleaning FIRST...
There are ALOT of connectors in there.....

Mike

Last edited:
Mike , you make it sound like a nightmare that it is , but once the decision is taken , take a deep breath and dive into it.
I did mine in a afternoon. Just got into it and did it.
It's not an easy job , but someone has to do it , ight?

Sorry guys i had to step out to go to a birthday dinner. Just tried the headphones if i turn the level for the headphones all the way up i can barely hear some music. I have been reading some of the old posts trying to get up to speed before i jump in with both feet. The voltage question was one i needed to ask before i went any further.It appears by the photos in vigmans thread that our pcb's are different.Looks like you already replaced the caps. All of the pins in this unit are gold.

Last edited:
My pix's were post re cap.. Another thing to try is try changint the Hi pass / low pass filters... Mine wouldn't pass the left on low off ( normal) and would pass right only in 7K I believe

Flipped high and low pass switches no help. After i reinserted the p.s. and output pcb's i turned it back on and i had left channel output for a few minutes. The meter slowly decreases amplitude (fades out) to -40. How are you repairing the pass thru's?

Can you give me a close up of s couple feed through's on your board, some units were done at the factory… then all you have to do is touch up work. your " issue" feels more like a a intermittent output board… I would start at the top boards first THEN the motherboard

Some photos before i get started. There are some shadows in picture 3 that make it look like over heated traces.

Back
Top Bottom