Good O-Scope options?

super98lsc

Guys, I realize I may be asking this in the wrong forum and apologize. (feel free to tell me where it should go)

I am rebuilding one of my Sansui's (5000x, thread on here) and would like to buy a used O-scope. (mine was destroyed in a move 10 years back) I am sorta out of practice and not certain if anyone here knows which ones are best for audio use and or models to stay away from and so on.

I am looking at the following units.
Tektronics Digital 2240 500 MS/S
Tektronics 210 digital

These are in the $ 200 range without leads but in good order and passing self tests.
Any advice is greatly appreciated.

-RM

you are in the analog domain. Get an Analog Scope.

there are so many to choose from , they are so cheap now on the used market.

example: tektronix 465

It really helps when you know what you're talking about. The 22xx series are analog scopes, NOT digital. They are nice scopes, very easy to use and some of them have cursors you can use to measure the signals. Some have automatic measurements as well (the one I have does, I think it's a 2252.)
The TDS series is digital.

Made the purchase!

Tektronix 2246 Analog 4 Ch 100mHz Oscilloscope W/ New 100mHz probe and CD
Calibrated and in great shape <$290 USD.

Dr*Audio- I checked and this one does have the measurement cursors, glad you mentioned that.
Do i need to purchase more probes? I have 1 new one that ships with the unit will I need to do so? I am a sort of having to learn all over again, forgot a lot of this stuff in the past 20 years :-(

Now I need a good signal generator and capacitor and ESR tester. My FLUKE 87 only tests up to 200µf.

Last edited:
Two probes is nice :yes: - I have a two channel scope. :smoke:

But that doesn't mean you 'need' 4 probes :no: :thmbsp:

Just make sure you have one of the Tektronix probes with the special connector on it that tells the scope whether it's a x1 or x10.
TEKPRB01.JPG

Otherwise your readings will be off by /10.

It's called the 'readout pin', and you don't need an expensive Tek scope to get one. I've had many Tek scopes, but I'm not fond of their probes, or the price that they sell for.

Scope arrived today looks nice seems in good order now I just have to remember how to set it up. I can't for a life of me recall how to self calibrate the unit.....

Ok does anyone know how many hours the self calibration should run for? Or this scope is hosed or I am doing it wrong..... arg!

Tektronix 2246 100Mhz 4 channel - Self Cal Measurements - Turn all VAR knobs fully CW - Running.... and just stays there for ever....

Either I am not patient or like I mentioned missing something in the manual.. I have the service manuals and user manuals.

Ok figured it out! The VAR knobs have a spot they click and lock into I.E. Detent. Well the channel 1 pot is dirty or not making solid contact unless I place my finger on it in that locked position. I'll clean and line with some deoxit and faderlube tomorrow hopefully that solves it. Passes all tests and calibrates perfectly now. Ran a few waves through it from the generator and it's spot on.

Back
Top Bottom