Sansui 2000A, G-5500 or Eight?

corpblues

AK Member
I seem to have a problem... Too many Sansui receivers.

I bought each of these at estate sales and love the quality of the engineering and build. Thus I seem unable to pass an old Sansui up. Each time I have bought a Sansui receiver unsure if it would work when I got it home. Each time I was rewarded after taking it home, plugging it in and they all worked great. What other 40+ year old device does this? Most new electronics seem to be built at lowest cost possible and with a planned life of 2-3 years. In the 70's many electronics were built with personal pride and the highest possible quality and typically overbuilt. Maybe I am just getting old and romancing the 70's, but there does seem to be something factual to my experience with vintage electronics.

First was the 2000A $40 at an estate sale. The only downside is the lights needs to be replaced and it does not have the wood case. The sound is great but I can tell it does not have the power to drive my four large speaker as well as the G-5500.

Second was the G-5500 $85 at half priced books. This this rocks and is rock solid. This is my daily driver and performs flawlessly. A few of the lights need to be replaced. This one does seem to have the most direct sound and less warm than the 2000A and Eight. For rocking out it is awesome but I tend to like the 2000 and Eight for my jazz and vocal singers.

Third was the Eight $50 at an estate sale (today). It is my new favorite. It is great condition and the case is near perfect, all controls and lights work great. It was missing the power cord, so I was not sure if I was buying a receiver for parts or a working receiver. After fixing up a power cord, it works as if it was new. The sound is more like the 2000A than the G-5500 but with power. Plus seems to have the best turner of the bunch.

Which to sell? What to do? Guess keep them all, but seems I now need a larger man cave.

Keep the one you like the best, or the two you like the best, or all three.

If I had to keep only one, it would be the Eight. I have one in my office (heavily refurbished). I've also owned several 2000A's (great looking receiver)....updated and sold them...and still keep a perfect 2000X, but unfortunately have no spot for it.

Yessireee! I need to replace some transistors in the preamp section....getting a little white noise, noticeable only with no signal but definitely not there when I first put it into use. Had to do a bit of work on it when I first got it....not an easy unit to work on, but build quality is top-notch. I'm sure you've totally overhauled yours!

The Eight would be the keeper in my book. I have the Eight Deluxe.. It's my No.1 all time fave receiver.

I'd keep the EIGHT........Yeah, and the next EIGHT I see will be mine I tell ya!!

Yessireee! I need to replace some transistors in the preamp section....getting a little white noise, noticeable only with no signal but definitely not there when I first put it into use. Had to do a bit of work on it when I first got it....not an easy unit to work on, but build quality is top-notch. I'm sure you've totally overhauled yours!

Nope , just did the zistors in the pre- caps are original.

Nope , just did the zistors in the pre- caps are original.

With your skills and knowledge (of which I've taken advantage of numerous times by reading past AK threads), I'm surprised! Then again, it looks to be one of the more difficult receivers I've seen....crowded, lot of connections to be undone, etc. I'll tear into mine as a winter-time project.

Another for keeping the EIGHT! But the 2000 series would be a VERY CLOSE 2nd for me. I've had a lot of 30-50W receivers over the years, and the 2000 series is probably the BEST series of 30-40wpc receivers made, by any manufacturer. I've got a SX-737 but it doesn't get 1/10th the run time that my 2000 does. I'm in the process of getting an "A" and an "X" and both are going to get the "FULL MONTE". I don't have a need for anything over 50W and the 2000 series fills the bill in everyway for me. I love the 737 but the 2000's have more mid bass punch and vocal mids are very smooth. High's leave a litle to be had, but I don't have anything over 12K in hearing anyway. I'll keep the 737 for sentimental reasons but the 2000's will get played!

The G-s are too analytical and sterile for me.

E I G H T - E I G H T - E I G H T.

Childish.... I know. Just keep the Eight - its the pinnacle of its generation.

With your skills and knowledge (of which I've taken advantage of numerous times by reading past AK threads), I'm surprised! Then again, it looks to be one of the more difficult receivers I've seen....crowded, lot of connections to be undone, etc. I'll tear into mine as a winter-time project.

I bought it with a broken speaker selector switch. I found a switch on here and replaced it- did the tranny's in the pre and IIRC a couple on the amplifier boards- diff inputs. The only caps I replaced were on that power supply board on the bottom.

Lol- they don't make a mcintosh eight Kevzep.

Well, no they don't, but in all seriousness, I passed up an Eight once, and I think it was a mistake....
I took the road of the big G's instead..........which was a great journey, but there is a lot of love for those single digit Sansui's, and I feel that I would appreciate one......

Well, I have a McIntosh C48, so thats something like 40 more, I wonder if it means its 40 newer??

After two days, the Sansui Eight is working and sounding great! The mono/stereo button and tape 1 button were a bit touchy but after working them many times they work fine. I bought a can of deoxit today, but debating if should spray the control pots since everything is working fine as is, why risk it...

I currently have it driving stacked Sansui SP2000 speakers & Original Large Advent speakers. Turntables in current rotation are Marantz 6100 and a Technics SL-1200MK2-A. Also hooked it up to a Sony TC-377 reel-to-reel and sounds nice.

Pretty happy at the moment. :banana:

Back
Top Bottom