Back to Vintage with an AU-D907G Extra…Audioholics Anonymous!

iamjaymo

AK Subscriber
Subscriber
So after about an almost 2 and a half year stint with modern gear, I am back to the vintage world with this beauty! The Sansui AU-D907G Extra…and I couldn’t be happier.

AKer, Migman, let me borrow me an amp and DAC so I would have something to listen to till I decide my next move. I have always had a thing for Sansui…so here I am. To tell you the truth, I couldn’t be happier. Listening to MUSIC - NOT THE GEAR. Had the most enjoyable couple of hours tonight listening to some great vinyl. Played everything from Jar of Flies to Blue Trane. Just magnificent. The phono stage on this beast is really amazing! Super quiet background and dynamic as all get out. Love it.

So how is this vintage amp compared to the Luxman modern amp I got rid of you may be wondering??? Well without a direct comparison, I would say it is not at all less enjoyable! This 907 was brought back to spec by a talented technician and it sounds wonderful. (More info. about the restore can be found here: http://www.audiokarma.org/forums/showthread.php?t=512490) About the only thing I can detect is the music seems a bit less organized only in complex passages. It’s not really a negative - it sometimes makes the music flow better not as fleshed out actually.

The Luxman could really disassemble a complex passage, put air around the instruments better than the Sansui and that’s really about it. I don’t miss the music on the Luxman - really I don’t. The 907 sounds absolutely FANTASTIC! Whom ever engineered this thing was light years ahead of their time. It makes my speakers just thump in a way the Luxman didn’t. It sounds juicy and luscious - like a really good steak would taste. Ok, so the Sui doesn’t have the pretty blue meters that the Lux had and the 907 isn’t as pretty but it is a beautiful amp in it’s own right.

Will I go back to modern? Probably. One day. I’m in no rush and am going to stay right here for a good while. Enjoy the music!

Last edited:
Very Nice set up. Welcome back to enjoying music as it should be, emotionally connected.

Nice one, Jaymo, amp looks lovely, is that the original wood? I have an earlier AU-D9 which looks similar, but the wood case on your AU-D907G Extra looks much nicer. Is it a 100v Japanese model? Didn't think these models were exported in the early eighties, but seen a few on Hifido. Enjoy it while you have it :music:

Ahh a piece of japs crap , that every European would have paid millions to have designed , so he could have it in his site as a weapon.
This Japanese crap when unveiled made many Europeans loose their sleep for years. And alas it was not the only one coming from the east. Every SANSUI ACCUPHASE LUXMAN amp was launched , Europeans were getting more nervous and speechless. I still have some reviews from some of the Europe's magazines at the time , when amps like 2301 launched , or the mighty AU-X 911DG, or a bit more back when AU -D11 II came out, or the mightiest AU-X 1 , they were trying so hard to find flaws on these amps. NEVER found one though , except the hyperbolic speed. They ended up saying , that so much speed is degrading music just because they could never dream of it. ARCAM and some other British manufacturers were looking with binoculars those amps.

Just a piece of Japanese crap.

BTW one of SANSUI'S best amps , ever.
The wooden sides , are the japs ones. In Europe it was sold either with no side woods , or a bit darker ones varnished to a different colour.
Fine amp , although a bit tricky and freaky to adjust dc offset and bias. Has adjustments for dc offset in phono preamp along with line preamp . One of the most complex amps ever made.

Last edited:
Nice one, Jaymo, amp looks lovely, is that the original wood? I have an earlier AU-D9 which looks similar, but the wood case on your AU-D907G Extra looks much nicer. Is it a 100v Japanese model? Didn't think these models were exported in the early eighties, but seen a few on Hifido. Enjoy it while you have it :music:

It is the 100v model; using a step down transformer. The sides are not original. A friend is a woodworker and made those custom, they do look great I think. The wood he used was walnut.

Last edited:
Yes, he did a fine job, the amp looks amazing :) So, am I right to guess this is in fact the Japanese model of the International AU-D11 II? Or very similar, the Best of Sansui comparison table is not 100% clear on that one.
I was using a step-down transformer on an AU-alpha707DR until the amp blew a fuse a couple of months ago :no:

Yes, I believe that is correct, I have always heard the like model for the 907 is the D 11 II. They look almost exactly alike inside and out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I believe if you put elna selmic II caps in the phono and preamp sections you would like it even more. Didn't you get it completely recapped?
I recapped my 919 and it's awsome. Those Selmic II caps in the right place can bring it closer to the Lux.:yes:

2 phono channels. What contemporary amp makers offer that option and at what cost?

Analog nirvana.

Back
Top Bottom