Au-919

phatster

Honey Boo Boob
I've read many reviews,all generally very positive,however it seems a common comment is the amp isn't the vintage Sansui sound.Highs are apparently more crisp.I'm considering this amp and need any personal viewpoints of folks who use this amp regularly.I haven't heard one myself so this data is helpful given I know no one who has one to try.I use DCM TF-600 and 700's at this time.Thanks for any feedback rendered!

Doesn't realy have a sound. Just plays what it's given, and does very well. Most likely will need some work though to make it 100% again. I'm a fan.

I've read many reviews,all generally very positive,however it seems a common comment is the amp isn't the vintage Sansui sound.Highs are apparently more crisp.I'm considering this amp and need any personal viewpoints of folks who use this amp regularly.I haven't heard one myself so this data is helpful given I know no one who has one to try.I use DCM TF-600 and 700's at this time.Thanks for any feedback rendered!

The AU-919 is light years ahead of the previous stuff. Apart from the AU-717 anything before that series is of collectors value only. It may have a more rounded off sound but it's design is mediocre compared to the later gear such as the AU-919. If you have heard a good working AU-919 then you don't really want that old Sansui sound anymore ;)

Having said that if you buy an AU-919 as with any vintage amp you will most likely have to replace the main filter caps (as well as the other smaller caps) and this is no mean feat for an AU-919 because it has non standard oval shaped caps in it. Some small compensation caps in the output stage will have to be replaced in order to avoid instability and blowing up the output stage. The output transistors are also unobtainium but I believe that there are some suitable replacements now available from ST.

And like a lot of vintage gear the speaker connectors don't facilitate connection of banana jacks so these will have to be replaced as well depending on your application.

The AU-919 is light years ahead of the previous stuff. Apart from the AU-717 anything before that series is of collectors value only. It may have a more rounded off sound but it's design is mediocre compared to the later gear such as the AU-919. If you have heard a good working AU-919 then you don't really want that old Sansui sound anymore ;)

WOW those are strong words rabbit ! I agree that the AU-919 is a very fine sounding amplifier and a true leader of the AU-x1x line but that does not negate the fine qualities of earlier Sansui lines of which there are several. They all have excellent sound quality and following, albeit that they are quite a bit less technically advanced. Some of the later Sansui lines equal or exceed the performance of the AU-919 depending on whose opinion you listen to. I am referring to the AU-D11 and similar lines with of course the pinnacle of these being the AU-X1.

I have been revelling in the marvellous sound of the AU-D11 II and for a while thought I would never want to listen to anything else - but have now realised the true attributes of the AU-717 and AU-9900 as a result, and that they still have their place in my listening enjoyment.

All I am saying is, don't go running away with the idea that there is nothing Sansui prior to the AU-919 and AU-717 that is worth listening to.

Just my 3 ha'pence worth

Last edited:
Your assumption that 'all Sansui amps have a characteristic sound' is flawed from the get-go. Sansui built a buttload of different amps & receivers & whatnot, and their sound covered a pretty wide range, IMHO.

Point taken! Sounds like finding a 919 that doesn't need some tune-up/caps is unlikely.If I get this work done by a tech what kind of money we talkin{ballpark}.Just want to be well informed when/if I carry this through. Thanks for your insights.

WOW those are strong words rabbit ! I agree that the AU-919 is a very fine sounding amplifier and a true leader of the AU-x1x line but that does not negate the fine qualities of earlier Sansui lines of which there are several. They all have excellent sound quality and following, albeit that they are quite a bit less technically advanced. Some of the later Sansui lines equal or exceed the performance of the AU-919 depending on whose opinion you listen to. I am referring to the AU-D11 and similar lines with of course the pinnacle of these being the AU-X1.

I have been revelling in the marvellous sound of the AU-D11 II and for a while thought I would never want to listen to anything else - but have now realised the true attributes of the AU-717 and AU-9900 as a result, and that they still have their place in my listening enjoyment.

All I am saying is, don't go running away with the idea that there is nothing Sansui prior to the AU-919 and AU-717 that is worth listening to.

Just my 3 ha'pence worth

The AU-D11 came out later than the AU-919 and the AU-X1 came out at the same time as the AU-919 and was the top of the class ;) You are definitely correct about those two but like I said anything before that IMHO was mediocre technological wise. Yes well built with lots of power but old technology.

For instance AU-20000 is built like a battle ship, looks fantastic but one look at circuitry will tell you that it's 1960's technology :( The AU-9900/11000 is a little bit more refined compared to the AU-20000 with constant current source and current mirror for the differential input stage but still is not in the same league as the AU-919.

But I am not denying that there are people who like and prefer the earlier stuff better than the later stuff ;)

It seems that Sansui might have employed different design engineers to design their later gear ;)

regards

Your assumption that 'all Sansui amps have a characteristic sound' is flawed from the get-go. Sansui built a buttload of different amps & receivers & whatnot, and their sound covered a pretty wide range, IMHO.

I agree with this one. Pick your poison so to speak. To say one's better than the other is your oppinion.

Another note, I agree that the 919 sounds great, but I would not go tradin my AU-20000 for one.

Agreed on many points and particularly what EW says. I have many of the units is question and like em all!! I prefer some for sure but enjoy using them all as I cycle through. Circuit topology wise, yes, they did get more sophisticated over the years and produce vanishingly low amount of THD etc however I do not think that you will be upset with any choice.

I don't have a 919, but have heard one good example. That model is rumored to have potential stability issues. The one I heard was not refurbished, but did seem to be in good working order. It sounded good, maybe a bit too bright to my ears, but that could have been the speakers or even the genre of music, which was FM jazz IIRC.
These questions and comments are of little worth in deciding about gear, the only way to do it is a listen, in your room, your tunes, and your speakers.
As to the design question, of course there are as many diverging opinions about that as there are manufacturer's of equipment. Sansui made some of the best gear ever made, and some of the crappiest too.

The AU-919 is kind of in a league of its own. The sound quality is superb, detailed, fast tight bass and accurate with imaging and depth that makes your hairs almost stand on end ;) But then on the other hand it can be very clinical and fussy, if you feed rubbish in, rubbish comes out, it doesn't mask anything in that respect.

They are a fine example of engineering and one of Sansui's best high end intergrated amps for the time.
Like others have said, the AU-20000 and 717,9900/11000 are also very good and not to be sneezed at either. I have all of these Sansui's as well and they're lovely examples and sound superb along with the rest :D

If you find an AU-919 get the thing and have a listen, you won't regret it :yes:

Just my 2 cents worth...

G. :)

Last edited:
Hmmm I have to disagree with rabbit, IMO my AU-999 sounds every bit as good as my AU D11-II, but then I am of the school that differences between amps that can deliver sufficient current, aren't clipping, aren't out of spec, and have reasonable specs are highly exaggerated and more psychoacoustic than real. Not meaning to start a flame war just MO.

I love my EW'd AU919. It's the only SS piece I ever had that I know I will never sell. Try to find one with good original output devices and restore it. Tons of work, but well worth it.:music:

Point taken! Sounds like finding a 919 that doesn't need some tune-up/caps is unlikely.If I get this work done by a tech what kind of money we talkin{ballpark}.Just want to be well informed when/if I carry this through. Thanks for your insights.

I'm curious too. Not only ballpark price, but what is likely to need replacing, and are those parts available?

919 owner

I love my EW'd AU919. It's the only SS piece I ever had that I know I will never sell. Try to find one with good original output devices and restore it. Tons of work, but well worth it.:music:

As a 919 owner I agree! Mine is NOT for sale! :smoke:

AU-919

I think it is the best amplifier of that series, following models AU-X1 and AU-X11 I have seen broken or in bad condition often times. The AU-919 is working steady. The other model I watched out this was AU-717, not 719 (!)

+1

Owner of AU-919 here form down under. This is the kind of amp that makes you lose sleep at night thinking what would you do if you were ever trying to source those original unobtainiam output tranny >.<

It is still sought after, one went on flea bay just over £1200. More than twice what I paid back in 79.
Mine just been refreshed to last another 30years, worth the expense.
Clean in Clean out when I feel like it and if I want it warm then AU-111.

I had a au919, au999 and sansui g4700.... All in very good condition

My preference strickly in sound quality:

1- au999
2- g4700
3- au919

Back
Top Bottom