Broken PCB

Sansui_Boy

Hello guys,
the protection light on my amp wasn't working when i received it and after a good look at the internals i found that the board where the protection light is , is snapped clean in half:tears: the amp still works fine and it takes about 5 seconds for the relay to click. BTW the model is a AU D907F Extra it is exactly the same as the AU D11 but has a few revisions etc.
For the repair i thought about using a non conductive epoxy and using it to glue the boards together and using some jumper wire to connect the traces and also solder the cracked traces. I think this is a good idea but i am welcome for more ideas
Thanks

Photos: BTW the board is very small and is hard to be seen in the photo if you can see it the board says 'indicator' on it and in the middle of the board there is a straight crack between the two soldered leads

My two cents; leave it the way it is.

Being the sort of person I am, I would find it quite impossible to do that. I would literally strip the whole amplifier down if I needed to, to get to that part and fix it.

The repair method suggested sounds fine to me.

Last edited:
Ouch

How did it get pushed in. Any chance for a pic of the face of the unit?

Actually I might have a replacement board you can have...maybe.

What's the PC board number?

What about electrical circuit repair paint,get it on eBay.it's used for pc and other board applications.all you do is re paint the tracks filling in the cracks using a fine tip modelers/artist paint brush.when it's dry,test with a multi metre and if all connections are good then epoxy over to give the board strength.I have used this stuff lots of times and it works great.but it will not beat replacing the board.

Sent from my D6503 using Tapatalk

Epoxy the board, scrape back the solder mask, lay a small piece of wire across the gap, solder flow the wire between the traces. Call it good.

Sent from my XT1060 using Tapatalk

This amp is a AU D907F Extra and is the same as the AU D11 so i would guess they have the same board? The board is F-3260 The reason it broke was when it was shipping the clip holding the board was pulled inwards and snapped the board slight the amp works fine so it isn't a problem
And thanks for the helpful comments and ideas i really appreciate the help

Don't remove anything. Get a small iron that'll get in there without melting half the thing. Take a jeweler's scredriver and scrape the soldermask off and just drape solder across the connection. It is only broke where the diode (->|-) symbol is.

For such a minor problem, any pro should tell you just to do the simple repair. This is not in the audio path, nor does it affect safety or reliability.

If you want perfection, glue it with super glue and then use a really really fine wire to bridge the connection. When you have the board out, pound it together, then take it apart and put super glue (not expoxy) on one of the erose surfaces and not too much, use a QTIP to remove excess. The white ine where it is broke will practiacally disappear. Then you can use one strand of stranded wire to make the electrical connection without scraping the soldermask and silkscreen off. you should be able to loop it around that white plastic part of the LED mount. Or you could put it on top of the board.

Seriously, I would just fix the connection. If you would rather not scrape the board I can understand that, so just take a small piece of wire and jump the broken foil. It's only one.

Back
Top Bottom