BA-3000 with problems

Tinnkindling

OLD SCHOOL
There's a BA-3000 for sale locally. Cosmetics are about a 7/10. It works.

Two problems apparent right away: Power switch shaft is broken (can still operate); and the meters are both dead.

Question: Is the switch really unobtanium?, and opinions on whether the meter problem is a driver board issue, or perhaps just something simple that a good contact cleaner can fix.?

For those interested, it's for sale as is for $775.

The switches are really hard to find...But you could see the patch I made.
The meter drivers COULD be the fault ( had one fail in my CA ) .
Without seeing it.. REALLY hard to tell

Power meters on BA 3000 don't fail.
What it fails is the driver board , and the screws shim contact on the driver board which screws on the instrument. Next is the voltage, that might be missing or low.
The instrument it self can be checked with a battery , aa , even half dead will do the trick.

There's a BA-3000 for sale locally. Cosmetics are about a 7/10. It works.

Two problems apparent right away: Power switch shaft is broken (can still operate); and the meters are both dead.

Question: Is the switch really unobtanium?, and opinions on whether the meter problem is a driver board issue, or perhaps just something simple that a good contact cleaner can fix.?

For those interested, it's for sale as is for $775.

$775 plus unknown $ to get it working may not be your best choice. I'd pass as there are other BA 3000's out there.
That said, you can always use a power strip in place of the defective power switch. The meter issue needs to be resolved.

Actually, I decided that the BA-3000 in question is not for me. I flirted with the idea of replacing my BA-2000 with a BA-3000, but I will only do this if I can fine a mint BA-3000 locally.

Mike, thanks for the tip on the power switch. Still wondering if some other piece of gear, maybe not Sansui, used the same switch. You'd think a power switch would be an off-the-shelf item, from a supplier to the entire Japanese audio industry.

If anyone else is interested in the BA-3000, it's in Vancouver at Lotus Land Electronics.

Regarding your last post , the one before , this, power switches do not come of the counter that easy.
Specially from sansui. They always ordered their stuff custom made. Back then in the 70's. They could and they did it.
We had the same question in our minds all the time. Why have the same switch with a dozen different part numbers.
The answer was devastating. Because it is not the same switch.:banana::dunno:

But they did use similar parts from ALPS....
I have another post where a cassette deck switch ( using the Triac mod ) would work in a jam.

Back
Top Bottom