AU-20000 Help Needed - Neat (Yet) Messy .

sansuilove

Hello everybody .
I am new to this forum (heard A lot of good things) , and to vintage Sansui in general .
Happily I am new owner of AU-20,000 . I acquired it in the States and brought it with me to Belgium.
First thing I did was converting it to 240V . (Voltage here goes from 220-240)
Succes with that (Easy)
Now , I know that there IS a problem with the unit .

It powers up - 1 relay click only .
Protector light stays on -
Vu meters light , and they "needles" (hope this is the correct word) move all the way to the 2/3 way , "dance" :) A bit and then go down .
SO..
WHen converting to 240V , found this disturbing thing :

Attachments

• a.jpg
    a.jpg
    95.4 KB · Views: 214
As well you should. Some very good techs here. (I'm not one of them) IMO from what you showed us. Something and/or somebody really bad happened there (possibly both)
That's a really nice piece. Unless you're an experienced tech I strongly suggest you get that to the best local tech you can find. That's not a novice piece to play with and the fact its been altered makes the repair that much more difficult. Try PMing Echo wars, Hyperion, or Mark the fixer. I suspect you can find someone good in Belgium but I couldn't begin to tell you where to look. Good luck with it!

Thank you for your input.
I also believe I cannot find someone here who knows this unit . In addition , must admit that I do not trust always LOCAL techs. / repairmen / etc . Most of the places I know repair washing machines / T.V ..

Shame of it is two way shipping to the states with repair might be more than restored unit. Ask on site. This is an international community. I wouldn't be shocked if there isn't someone around who can hook you up. Maybe shipping to England (is that PC today?) Hyperion?

Sure, I could definitely fix if it was on my bench - but as I have not worked on one before, I can't really help online to a level that I am comfortable with :)

There are several AK members from Belgium, maybe if they see this they can recommend someone in Belgium? - otherwise I'll be happy to take it on (please discuss this option via PM).

Last edited:
Hyperion , PM sent.
I believe these wires were disconnected for a purpose . Meanwhile , I covered their tips as they weren't.
I'm trying to figure out by the SM where these wires go from & to .
:scratch2:

Responded to PM - OP wants to try to fix it himself.

I have requested the posting of some pictures of these wires, where they come from, and where they might go to.

OP is posting .
(I like the way this site works) :tresbon:

On 1 end they are loose (marked as speaker L+R rear etc..)
On the other end , soldered to F-2512 board .

Which by the way , does not appear on SM . On page 13. It's maybe shown as 1512 ?
:headscrat:headscrat

Attachments

• wire.jpg
    wire.jpg
    106.1 KB · Views: 130
  • wire1.jpg
    wire1.jpg
    87.6 KB · Views: 109
Last edited:
They don't look 'original' to me - perhaps a tech or another AU-20000 owner can confirm?

Was I right about what I said about the F-2512 board?

Looks like it - in the SM I have just downloaded it isn't illustrated, but appears to be a board that other boards plug into?

It is mentioned on the schematic, and yes it's parts list appears as "F-1512" in the SM.

Welcome to the world of Sansui omissions and misprints... :D

Looks like it - in the SM I have just downloaded it isn't illustrated, but appears to be a board that other boards plug into?

Yes it is..

It is mentioned on the schematic, and yes it's parts list appears as "F-1512" in the SM.

Welcome to the world of Sansui omissions and misprints... :D

It's very bizarre , If it's not shown , how are we supposed to see where and which wires connect to...
At any case , downloaded a better SM from here : (But also has the same "mismatch"

http://elektrotanya.com/sansui_au-20000_sm.pdf/download.html

Last edited:
I am sure that those two (precisely two pairs) cables are not original! Now I am not at my home, so I cant see my picture archive, but those type of cable Sansui didnt use in AU20000. It would be interesting if you can take a picture where they are connected (on both end)

Kale thanks for having a look .
The cables really seem "different" from all colored cables in this amp.
Connected to the "2512" board . Can't say which pins cause in the SM there is no illustration for this board unfortunately.
On the other side they are both loose , and someone made marking on them "Rear - / + , Left etc...)
This is the best I could do with photo :

Attachments

• ????? 3-1.jpg
    ????? 3-1.jpg
    84.2 KB · Views: 83
Last edited:
I wanted to update that I took it to a tech some friend recommended me .
He said he will check it and he "hopes" this is not the output transistors .
I saw them inside , Sanken nice ones and it REALLY would be a shame if they are gone!
Anyway , Part of my research ,
I was thinking that IF THE OUTPUT transistors are gone , which could be replacement?
SO , by checking the web , found that :

Motorola MJ21193G MJ21194G
http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_trk...C0.XMJ21193G&_nkw=MJ21193G&_sacat=0&_from=R40

OR

Sanknen 2SA909 2SC1686
http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_sacat=0&_from=R40&_nkw=2SA909&_sop=12

What do you think ? If yes , Please have a look at this EBAY page and , how do I know what is FAKE and what is GENUINE ?

Looking over your photos, I'd say blown outputs is pretty much a given.

Assume that everything you find on Ebay is fake.

Looking over your photos, I'd say blown outputs is pretty much a given.

Assume that everything you find on Ebay is fake.

Please elaborate . What makes you think this is the situation ?
Thanks

In another issue , from which amps I can find a replacement switch for the power on / off ? (the silver one)

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom