Help!

Lunarhunt

Hello fellow enthusiasts!

I recently acquired a Sansui BA-F1/CA-F1 set up. I must admit I am new to Sansui and do not know much about this rig. Just curious what you guys might like/dislike about this particular system?

More importantly, it seems I have quite a problem with the CA-F1 pre amp! When I connect my turntable to the MC phonostage there is high levels of noise, particularly on the left channel. During playback the left channel will cut in and out until the protection switches off. Obviously I need a repair. Is there anyone here that is familiar with the CA-F1 and who I might have repair it?

Welcome to AK forums, the above mentioned threads are a good starting point as well as telling us your location for tech recommendations

You don't mention the cart being used... I'll ask the obvious question just to get it out of the way. Is it a moving coil cart? Using a moving magnet cart on a moving coil input will result in overloading the circuit causing distortion, I would guess that the overloading could cause the protection circuit to kick in too but don't know for sure.

You have a hugely desirable pair there - look after them, once repaired they will deliver very fine sound indeed.

The BA/F1 & CA/F1 combo is something to die for. Don't give them up.
AK is where you will find the fix you need. Be patient. One of the best for advise is "ECHOWARS".

You don't mention the cart being used... I'll ask the obvious question just to get it out of the way. Is it a moving coil cart? Using a moving magnet cart on a moving coil input will result in overloading the circuit causing distortion, I would guess that the overloading could cause the protection circuit to kick in too but don't know for sure.

The turntable is a Clear Audio Concept w/ concept MC cart. I have also hooked other tt's to the combo always with the same effect. Also I have tried the different combos of the BA-F1 & CA-F1 with other amps and preamps. after doing this I have singled out the CA-F1 as the culprit.

I suspect the majority of the issues will come down to the 'black flag' capacitors and the corrosive glue Sansui used to fix the capacitors in-place in equipment of this vintage ... which means also that if you can swing the cost, plan to send off the power amp as well for a recap.

... might be handy too to post some pics of the insides of both units.

Thanks for the warm welcome to the community! My location is a bit tricky as I am currently living in Vicenza, Italy but should be moving to the states in two or three years. I would be happy to send the preamp off to a qualified tech who is familiar with the particular issues this kit may have. Yes, I do think it would be a good idea to have both pieces reconditioned but will probably just start with the CA-F1 and then do the amp later.

tech sugestions

I am currently located in Italy but tend to move frequently. I am more concerned with finding a quality tech who is familiar with the vintage Sansui equipment than one who might be located nearby. I would be quite happy to pay for the shipping costs to wherever the tech is located, just want the best work done.
Welcome to AK forums, the above mentioned threads are a good starting point as well as telling us your location for tech recommendations

I am happy to hear this is a desirable setup! I must admit I had no idea what I was getting when my current landlord gave the equipment to me. Is there any other info you might have about this equipment? I am also looking for a good/reliable tech to make the needed repairs.
You have a hugely desirable pair there - look after them, once repaired they will deliver very fine sound indeed.

They have a number of issues which because of age must be dealt with properly. Not the least of these is the 'black flag' capacitors, which go intermittent with age and are the only thing protecting both of the units from seriously damaging themselves, or one damaging the other.

I am afraid I don't know of any tech's in Italy, as I would only know them if they were regularly posting AK members, quite a few really good tech's reside on AK, as you are probably aware. You are almost guaranteed a good outcome if you can engage one of them. However as this seems likely to mean 'shipping' it becomes risky and expensive.

My Personal Opinion
These units should not be considered for just 're-capping' (yes I know I keep banging on about this), but should be 'restored' this effectively returns them to as near 'new' condition as possible with todays parts availability.

I would urge you to seek out the best tech you can find, there must be some in Italy? with vintage awareness and sympathy for the original design execution.

Good luck.

Last edited:
They have a number of issues which because of age must be dealt with properly. Not the least of these is the 'black flag' capacitors, which go intermittent with age and are the only thing protecting both of the units from seriously damaging themselves, or one damaging the other.

I am afraid I don't know of any tech's in Italy, as I would only know them if they were regularly posting AK members, quite a few really good tech's reside on AK, as you are probably aware. You are almost guaranteed a good outcome if you can engage one of them. However as this seems likely to mean 'shipping' it becomes risky and expensive.

My Personal Opinion
These units should not be considered for just 're-capping' (yes I know I keep banging on about this), but should be 'restored' this effectively returns them to as near 'new' condition as possible with todays parts availability.

I would urge you to seek out the best tech you can find, there must be some in Italy? with vintage awareness and sympathy for the original design execution.

Good luck.
Thank you for this very good advice. I certainly do want to have them restored and have been actively searching for a qualified tech here in Italy. So far I have had no luck in my search.

Currently my inquiries here on AK have also come up empty. Might you have any suggestions or contacts who you can recomend? I think it is possible to package and ship the units safely to any good tech here in Europe. Any leads would be helpful and very much appreciated.

Back
Top Bottom