Which one to choose AU-7900 or D11

Being an au-7900 and au-9900 owner, I can't comment on the '11 but, the 7900 's power is underrated by Sansui. I think it sounds like you would be happier with the older look too.

So I just talked to the guy with the 7900 who is a collector btw, he did say and have the receipt from October that some recapping was done among a few other things. So I am going to see and hear it tonight. I have not ruled out or decided on anything as of yet. I'll keep you posted as who wins this vote. :music:

Sansui AU 7900 vs D11

By cheaper I mean that the 7900 should cost less. I cannot comment as to whether the 7900 was part of the same series as the 9900 but please check out the Sansui Data base for yourself.

I can list the years of manufacture and the MSRP from the SDB:
AU 7900 1974 to 1976 $400
AU 9900 1975 to 1977 $600
AU 11000 1974 to 1979 $750

So based on years and price I would guess that these were part of a AU XX00 series with the 7900 being the lowest (cheapest) on the list.

You can check out the specs as well. The D11 is newer technology and TOTL for its year which the 7900 was not. The price listed for the recapped D11 seems too good to be true. I cannot argue about looks or the new versus the older sound. I think the 11000 vs. the D11 may give me pause for thought, not the 7900. Again tastes vary and I admit I am a TOTL snob. That is not to say you won't enjoy the 7900 but I would not pay the same kind of money for a 7900 ($400 MSRP) that I would for the D11 ($1000 with AU 919 type technology).

Marc
A

By cheaper I mean that the 7900 should cost less. I cannot comment as to whether the 7900 was part of the same series as the 9900 but please check out the Sansui Data base for yourself.

I can list the years of manufacture and the MSRP from the SDB:
AU 7900 1974 to 1976 $400
AU 9900 1975 to 1977 $600
AU 11000 1974 to 1979 $750

So based on years and price I would guess that these were part of a AU XX00 series with the 7900 being the lowest (cheapest) on the list.

You can check out the specs as well. The D11 is newer technology and TOTL for its year which the 7900 was not. The price listed for the recapped D11 seems too good to be true. I cannot argue about looks or the new versus the older sound. I think the 11000 vs. the D11 may give me pause for thought, not the 7900. Again tastes vary and I admit I am a TOTL snob. That is not to say you won't enjoy the 7900 but I would not pay the same kind of money for a 7900 ($400 MSRP) that I would for the D11 ($1000 with AU 919 type technology).

Marc
A

Thanks you for clarifying that, I much appreciate your input. :thmbsp:

Update:

So the winner for me is the AU7900, no disrespect to the D11 or their owners. I am sure D11 is a very capable and a great amp, but wasn't the one for me. The 7900 got me with aesthetics. I wanted to go into vintage and the D11 didn't seem to me like vintage in looks, it looked like any other black plastic peace you would find at a garage sale. I just couldn't get around that. That's purely just imo and taste. If I wanted something technological advance and new sounding, I would buy new which I have many times.

When I went to see and hear the 7900 I couldn't tell what it was capable of, because the guy had a not so great tuner hooked up with sm L19 JBL. All I can tell at the time was it worked, otherwise it sounded like any other radio.. Took a chance and when I got home I hooked it up to my JBL TLX8 (which will be replace with Altec Lansing Model 14) and my PC Creative SB 3D recon and spent over an hour dialling it in as close as I can on the sound card and amp. Wow, what a beautiful sounding amp. Great sound separation and depth. The bass was tight and punchy. The highs and mid was smooth and just warm enough, wasn't bright, nor harsh. I definitely wouldn't want it to be any warmer like the Technics SA-5770 I had. I also liked the fact that the 7900 had all these filters and freq switches to adjust the sound. I wish it had an analogy volt meter as I am a sucker for those. Couple of things I didn't like was the way the connection was set in the back and the size of the unit. It looked small comparing to the D11 and AU9900 which I could of bought, but a bigger jump in price. I guess I'm just use to or like monster receivers like the Technics I had. People commenting about this amp being underrated for power was correct, it has more power and volume than I will ever need. They were also correct, this amp is not going anywhere. Maybe some day I'll add his big brother the AU9900 or AU11000.

When I started this tread I thought it was going to be a land slide win for the 7900 and I guess I was looking for confirmation and reassurance that the 7900 was the right choice. However, it was fairly equal. Thanks D11 fans and owners, you made my job harder. :D

Last edited:
Hi,

I do agree with Sriskie, AU 9900,AU 11000 and AU 20000 falls under Sansui Professional series. AU 7900 was the top of line of X900 series. Congrats on your new purchase,Its a good amplifier to listen. I was approach by a sansui fan to get his AU 819 exchange for my AU 7900 earlier this year,but i have no heart to trade it. I will always have it with me. :)

Last edited:
Hi,

I do agree with Sriskie, AU 9900,AU 11000 and AU 20000 falls under Sansui Professional series. AU 7900 was the top of line of X900 series. Congrats on your new purchase,Its a good amplifier to listen. I was approach by a sansui fan to get his AU 819 exchange just for my AU 7900 earlier this year.

Thanks rasenthiran,. Ya I do like the contruction of such amp like 717, 819 and D11 internally. If only they stuck with silver aluminium knobs, if they did I would of been all over the D11 or the AU717 for example.

I do agree 9900 plus are pro series. http://www.sansui.us/Amplifiers.htm

I am torn as the D11 besides the power... What is turning me off is, it is all black and plastic knobs.

I wanted to go into vintage and the D11 didn't seem to me like vintage in looks, it looked like any other black plastic peace you would find at a garage sale.

I'm sure you'll be very happy with the 7900, but as the owner of a D11 I just wanted to clarify that the knobs and the face plate are all metal and not plastic. Some of the smaller push buttons are plastic, but the large volume dial and all other knobs are machined metal and are all very solid, just like the rest of the amp. ;)

Looks like you got a beauty there loop! congratulations!

:beerchug:

I'm sure you'll be very happy with the 7900, but as the owner of a D11 I just wanted to clarify that the knobs and the face plate are all metal and not plastic. Some of the smaller push buttons are plastic, but the large volume dial and all other knobs are machined metal and are all very solid, just like the rest of the amp. ;)

Thanks for clarifying that. :thmbsp: I wouldn't have know that never seen one in person. Well that does and will make some differences in my decision going forward. And in all fairness I haven't even heard the D11 perform, It might of sounded better to me who knows. The 7900 got me with the looks and sounded awesome I didn't need to look or search further.

Last edited:
It sounds like you've made the right choice.

At the end of the day, if you have a particular inclination regarding a particular style or appearance of gear, you should pursue that as it all plays a part in the enjoyment of music. The visual stimulation and excitement that attractive gear provides is all part of the experience. It helps that the 7900 is a GREAT sounding amp! :)

I prefer the aesthetics of the 7700/7900/9900/10000/20000 line over the AU-717/919/DX11 etc amps

I don't know if there would be much difference between the 7700-20000 except for power output?

has anyone compared the circuits? I suspect the preamps may be quite similar, if not identical

I prefer the aesthetics of the 7700/7900/9900/10000/20000 line over the AU-717/919/DX11 etc amps

I don't know if there would be much difference between the 7700-20000 except for power output?

has anyone compared the circuits? I suspect the preamps may be quite similar, if not identical

I didn't get a chance to compare my AU-7700 to the AU-20000 that I had here for a while. However, in isolation, the AU-20000 seemed to have greater clarity and more punch and drive.

The AU-7900 vs the AU-20000 would be a closer match methinks. A friend for whom I've restored many Sansuis has both the AU-7700 and AU-7900. He says that the 7900 is cleaner, clearer and more extended in the bass vs the 7700.

Back
Top Bottom