Sansui BA-5000 score !

LordJim

It's in rough shape and left channel isn't working. Doesn't seems modified inside. I bought it in a small village on the side of the beach. The young seller said it was from his father, who recently passed away. He had a miniteca, which is like a mobile disco, which where popular in the 80s.

This one needs a lot of love to be restored, it has a lot of details and rust on the borders, and red sides and top have been badly repainted. hard to see due to my crappy pics, but i don't complain for 35$ :banana:

o8SgyU.jpg

0MmZW7.jpg

9FYk7S.jpg

Great deal! That should be one hell of an amp! I have a BA-3000 and its wonderful sounding!
Hope you get it back up and running.

$35! What a rip off, some people buy some rubbish these days! Ill take it off you hands for $36 as i feel really sorry that youve paid over the odds

$36 including shipping! Great score lordjim its a amp suited to slow relaxing music. Produces an awesome midrange for voices.

$35 bucks!!! Ok just defibulated myself with my Variac and all the spare caps in the shop...... what a score. Certainly a few of us here that can offer guidance to getting it back in action! Enjoy and if you happen to find its cousin.. well let me know rofl..

Thanks for the kind words super98lsc. Sure I could use some help, bringing the amplifier back to live. Where I live, unfortunately there aren't any good technicians, who could repair this amplifier. I'm decent at soldering for changing caps, resistors, diodes etc, cold solders, as well as checking voltages, adjusting bias, and I also feel confident at assembling / disassembling. Hope there won't be to much difficulties, since parts are also hard to get here.

The amplifier powers up and relay clicks to green light. When i plug in a source I get clean sound from the right channel and nothing on the left, meter is working on the right but (obviously) not on the left. The amplifier is set to 2-channel and the mono/2-channel switch seems to be working.

Any help where to start greatly appreciated.

I'd do the obvious here: de-oxit the mono/stereo switch, the input jacks, and use potentiometer cleaner on the level controls.

Have you looked at the output transistors to see if they are correct? Relays all working correctly?

Oh, and by the way, can I say that you got a good deal on this device?

If Vigman sees this thread he likely will have some ideas of what to check for he just resurrected a basket case BA-5000 from beyond dead. I know there are several lugs/grounding terminals and bus bars inside that he found loose among other things. Those were industrial grade amps built to take some serious abuse so hopefully all the outputs are still OK as are the output transformers. And like Daunia 70 mentioned of course don't let just anyone get their hands on it.

I meant watch yer back cause it's so damn heavy (as in health reasons)... but still you have a good point there :D

HAHHAHAHAH I forgot about that part :D

Lifting the BA-5k reminds me of this old Phil Hartman Saturday Night Live skit...

Attachments

• SNL Skit Arms ripped off.JPG
    SNL Skit Arms ripped off.JPG
    17.6 KB · Views: 35
Last edited:
Tinnkindling:
I'll follow your advice. I'm disassembling and cleaning atm. So far seems like a very comfortable unit to work on. Everything seems to be put toghether very logical and very easy to access. I haven't checked the output transistors yet. Relays seem to be working fine.

bichitus: calculado a dolar paralelo bsf. 8000 ;)

About the weight of this monster. Man, I must have gotten supernatural strength, since I was able to carry it from the parking lot to my apartment on the 9th floor (elevator of course) . Must have been the adrenaline rush i got from finding this good of a score. just turning it from one side to the other while working on it is hard.

I'll will try to take some pictures from the inside later today, but I'm afraid quality will be bad, cause I'm limited to my mobile phone, since both my cameras are broken.

35 FREAKIN DOLLARS !!!!! WOW That must be the winner for watts per dollar !!!!!

Ok need PIX.. good pix and the VERY FIRST THING YOU MUST BUILD is a DBT....
If you blow something it's gonna get real expensive REAL QUICK!!!!

You also must have a good HEAVY DUTY TABLE... as you know these are NOT LIGHT!!
A chunk of carpet sample.. and LOTS of light...

I would 1st ( post DBT build ) open it up & remove all the sheet metal and take a GOOD LOOK around the insides...

Careful attention to all the emitter resistors on the heatsink.... that will give you some clue on the condition of the outputs..

What voltage are you .. and what voltage is the amp set for....??

I'm ready to help on this!!!!

Can't wait until this is fired up in an apartment rofl. Have you already planned on a new place to live? :)

Back
Top Bottom