AU-717 set near mint.

911s55

AK Subscriber
Subscriber
Just acquired my first Sansui integrated and tuner today from a Craigslist seller. I contacted him on Memorial Day, 13 minutes after it was posted. Called and got a good feel for the guy and made arrangements to drive 2 hours to pick up. Three other calls came in while I was on the phone.

He is the original owner, wife bought it for him in early '78 I believe, they were quite young, he is 62 and has kept immaculate care of them since. He advertised them as excellent condition which gets thrown around far to casually, but I got a good vibe for the guy and took a chance. Also said he has the original owners manuals, and the rack handles somewhere.

Upon arrival the stuff was out at the garage ready to go and literally looking as good as they did 37 years ago. I was concerned that he might not hold to our agreement since it was so under priced and I told him so on the phone but he said he would and I said if it is as you say I will buy it, and he wasn't kidding.

Attachments

• Sansui AU-717 set as purchased 001.jpg
    Sansui AU-717 set as purchased 001.jpg
    89.1 KB · Views: 164
  • Sansui AU-717 set as purchased 003.jpg
    Sansui AU-717 set as purchased 003.jpg
    94.3 KB · Views: 127
  • Sansui AU-717 set as purchased 009.jpg
    Sansui AU-717 set as purchased 009.jpg
    42 KB · Views: 127
  • Sansui AU-717 set as purchased 030.jpg
    Sansui AU-717 set as purchased 030.jpg
    42.5 KB · Views: 111
  • Sansui AU-717 set as purchased 041.jpg
    Sansui AU-717 set as purchased 041.jpg
    76.8 KB · Views: 160
Congrats and good for you on advising the seller of the true value. Your sincerity is what sealed the deal.

Thanks guys, straight up is all that works for me. I've been using some very nice integrated amps for a while now Pioneer SA-8800, Kenwood KA 8100, and a one owner KA-9100 KT-8300 set I picked up last year, but I knew the Sansui sound was in my head and was waiting for some nice pieces. I have a Sansui Eight not in service currently as I moved to the integrated units.

As cosmetically nice as this amp is it deserves a full restoration. They are both currently running, the DC offset had to be adjusted just a bit but is now good and stable, and the tuner hasn't drifted although the dial calibration is off a little. No big, I have plenty of good tuners, Scotts and Kenwoods and now a Sansui.

Hopefully I can find a dedicated tech to bring this back to and beyond it's origin.

Last edited:
Excellent score!! I love the thrill of digging up a rarity for a price that just can't be turned away.

So, you screwed an old guy probably on social security, why brag about it? Just keep it to yourself.
WTF is your problem?

I had a honest conversation with seller, he wasn't an impoverished old guy on Social Security, has a beautiful home, BMW motorcycle and a good job. He set the price, I informed him he could get offers higher than his asking price, we both kept our word and made a very respectful deal between us.

Why don't you deal with whatever is up your butt, and keep that to yourself.

By the way, I am and old guy without a job currently.

So have you plugged it in and connected speakers to it yet? How does it sound?

Not to burst the bubble but....

If I drove two hours to buy audio equipment I would have auditioned them before handing over cash no matter how nice the seller seemed or the components looked.

I don't see anyone getting screwed , people set the asking price of what they sell. If they asked to little it's not the buyers fault. I mean who in their right mind would pay more for something they can get at a cheaper price. Congrats on your 717, looks nice.

Hi 911s55,
Really glad for your honesty, sincerity and the good deal it brought you.
Bet its fully functional, but still, do restore and enjoy it. The 717 set is a great combo and from the pics, it looks like it is untouched and in great condition.
A recap and resto (in the likes of what Leestereo has recently done and posted here) would be a great start.
Congrats on your score.
Robert.

Hi 911s55,
Excellent find and includes the user manual as well. Everytime I see an AU-717 I am so tempted.
Congrats
Mano

91155s please don't speculate on someones motives. Judge a person by there actions. Peace and be well!

Sorry 91155s, I ment this mesage for commando's post. I up and goofed up thinking you where commado. My bad!

Back
Top Bottom