Sansui 5000A protector adjustment

Adding the resistor and capacitor between output and ground did nothing.
But...
When I leave the speaker on, and turn the amp on, there is only a dull thud.
When I turn it on with the speaker off, then turn the speaker on, I get the loud pop.
Mabye the sol'n is to leave the speaker on?

That might work better. Don't think I have ever turned my speaker switch to the OFF position unless I was checking out some head phones, or other testing.

Maybe someone who is more adept at circuit analysis will chime in with the rationale.

That might work better. Don't think I have ever turned my speaker switch to the OFF position unless I was checking out some head phones, or other testing.

Maybe someone who is more adept at circuit analysis will chime in with the rationale.
This may be why you are only getting a dull thud.

I think when the speaker is left on there is not such a sudden increase in voltage across the load. But if the caps charge to 35V, then are connected to the speakers, the speakers pop.
If I turn the amp on, and make it pop, then turn it off, then back on again, it doesn't pop unless I discharge the caps first. The pop is the charge on the caps being suddenly connected to the speakers.

Imagine I rub my feet on the carpet, then touch you. You get a static shock. But if I rub my feet while you are holding my hand, you won't get shocked.

Last edited:
My turn to rez an old thread...

Just want to add to some info regarding to 'pop' some people are getting with the 5000a. DeOxit that speaker dampening switch on the back. I did and now I only get a low 'thud' on power up provided I already have my speakers switched on. If I turn the unit on and then the speakers, I get the loud pop.

Not perfect, but now I can order caps and listen to this fine receiver.:thmbsp:

I always leave my speaker switch on the A+B setting as I don't use headphones. When I turn the unit on, I get a low "thoomph" sound through the speakers. Maybe it's normal for the 5000A to make noise at start up? Does this sound actually indicate a problem with the unit?

I have 2 of them. An X and an A. I fully modded and upgraded the X and it's sound is well amazing. With the bias and centering voltages correct there still will be a bump when engaging the speakers of the speaker selector is in the off position when the amp is powered up, then switching on the speakers. If you leave the speakers in the on positions with speakers connected and just power the unit up or down it should be quiet. Mine will only thump if I have gone to OFF then back to A,B,C. I also always shut it down in the A positions which drains the caps as it shuts down so not to get the big thud/Pop on power up.

I always leave my speaker switch on the A+B setting as I don't use headphones. When I turn the unit on, I get a low "thoomph" sound through the speakers. Maybe it's normal for the 5000A to make noise at start up? Does this sound actually indicate a problem with the unit?

Mine does that too. No problem, just the caps charging.
But if I turn speaker off before I turn the unit off, then on after I turn the unit on, I get a loud pop.

Back
Top Bottom