Sansui Eight

PhonoJ

Hey everyone, looking for opinions on the Sansui Eight, not the Deluxe. I bought a serviced one, new lights, etc, for a very reasonable price. Just wondering what others experiences and thoughts are with this unit.

Last edited:
Great units, I have one as I have stated before. Why don't you buy it and let us know what you think- sound is subjective, you won't have trouble moving it if you don't like it but I suspect you will.

You are wasting time. They aren't making any more of them. Pay what they want and spend the extra money to have it rehabbed. You will never get another receiver like it and you will enjoy the hell out of it during your lifetime.

I bought it, that's what I meant by found one, my bad explanation. It arrives Monday. I have heard great things about the Deluxe, but not a whole lot on the straight Eight.

Gem of a receiver. Punchy sound, with great separation and detail. Let us know what you think. Adjusting the Eight can be a tad tricky, but is really worth the effort. Enjoy !

Stereofun how would you compare it to the 4000, which I noticed you have and I have one as well.

I've never heard any Eight because not one single unit has crossed my path. The one thing about Sansui though.....they mostly nailed there intended signature sound within each generation of tech advancement......that sound is so well thought out and safe for pairing well. (They still manage killer detail and not one bit of harsh or "cloudiness" in the generation's take on warmth.) Safe with cajones.

The Eight is a step up from the 4000 IMO - more detail and tightness. The 4000 is cap coupled, so it lends itself to a more "warm" sound - beautiful and smooth with a slightly protruding mid, but lacks the precision and punch of the Eight. Both very good performers in each their own.

The Eight is a step up from the 4000 IMO - more detail and tightness. The 4000 is cap coupled, so it lends itself to a more "warm" sound - beautiful and smooth with a slightly protruding mid, but lacks the precision and punch of the Eight. Both very good performers in each their own.

+1 and the eight is built very well. It's a solid block with some great design layouts. The Seven is just as good that way and even scarcer.

Hopefully the one you got is well serviced and working correctly.
They can suddenly lay down.

I think it is a fantastic unit. Built like a tank. Sounds excellent. It is my main go to unit. Nice phono section. Will crank as loud as I want it to in to AR's.

You will like it.

Have fun.

George.

Congrats!

I think you will be very happy with that piece.
Regret trading my Seven but happily replaced it with a 7000 which is very similar to the Eight.

I have had a few vintage Marantz-Kenwood and Pioneer receivers but seem to prefer Sansui.

Post some pics when you can!

My Eight arrived today, took it apart and it's super clean, everything working perfect and I couldn't be happier. It sounds fantastic, it's definitely a keeper. Pictures below.

Attachments

• 01.jpg
    01.jpg
    95.1 KB · Views: 40
  • 02.jpg
    02.jpg
    95 KB · Views: 30
  • 03.jpg
    03.jpg
    95.1 KB · Views: 31
Yesterday, pulled out the Eight (the early fused version) and having a blast. She still sounds fantastic. The phono preamp still sounds good. It does have a very slight even ordered harmonics in which does sound nice with piano (one example; Robert Schuman, Concerto in A. Minor, Op. 54). Other than that, bass, mid and highs are very clean. FM radio still sounds good. What does, to this day, is the look, simply beautiful. Being such an old receiver, it still looks nice in the living room. At this juncture, the DC offset in the right channel is at about .4 millivolt. The left channel DC offset is at around 18 millivolts, not sure if should be concerned with that.

Mine bit the dust and needs to be taken to the stereo doctor. Unfortunately my G-8000 has to go with it.

Has anyone compared the Eight amplifier circuit to an AU-999?

Eight uses the TU-999 tuner circuit

Back
Top Bottom