771 in da house (with nudies)

skippy124

Hi,

I recently acquired a 771 in need of a little TLC. This receiver completed the series in my collection - 331 through to the 881 (we didn't get the 221 over here). It was stated as having low volume on all inputs, and was in need of a good clean. Once I had it opened up on the bench, a quick diagnosis showed that the only thing wrong was an intermittent source selector switch, a little di-oxit and the problem was resolved. She was a little dirty inside, but underneath the layer of dust and hair she is in pretty good condition.

771insidebeforeclean.jpg

771insidebeforeclean_1.jpg

771insidebeforeclean_2.jpg

After a clean up

771insideafterclean.jpg

771insideafterclean_2.jpg

771insideafterclean_1.jpg

A view of the receiver from the top

771insideafterclean_3.jpg

And underneath

771bottom.jpg

The case had some minor damage on the rear edge

771casedamage.jpg

Some PVC Glue,

771caserepairtools.jpg

Some clamps

771caseclamped.jpg

And the damage has been fixed

771caserepaired.jpg

The front panel and knobs needed some attention

771outsidebeforeclean_1.jpg

771outsidebeforeclean.jpg

Came up pretty good after a clean

771outsideafterclean.jpg

771frontafterclean.jpg

The rear panel was also needed some attention

Before -

771rearbeforeclean.jpg

771rearbeforeclean_1.jpg

After -

771rearAfterclean.jpg

771rearAfterclean_1.jpg

Pretty happy with the final result.

Nice clean-up! It looks a heck of a lot better. You'll definitely enjoy that 771. I have the 881 and it sounds excellent.

By the way, what did you do to clean the front faceplate?

I was pleasantly surprised by the performance of this 771. I had previously thought that these were well under 30W per channel output, partly because of the 100W AC power consumption shown on the rear panel. A check of the specs in the service manual shows that these were in fact rated at 45W per channel, each driven @ 1khz into 8 ohms, and 40W per channel, both channels driven @ 1khz into 8 ohms. The actual power output figures that this amp achieved were 52.5W per channel, each channel driven, and 49.5W per channel, both channels driven. Very happy with that result!!

Cheers

John

Nice clean-up! It looks a heck of a lot better. You'll definitely enjoy that 771. I have the 881 and it sounds excellent.

By the way, what did you do to clean the front faceplate?

I am going to do a comparison between the two (881 and 771), and I will post up how they stack up against each other.

I use non-amonia Windex for most front panel cleaning (used with this unit), and there is a stainless steel cleaner that I have also had good results with.

Cheers

John

Very nice unit and very nice clean-up. Are you going to re-cap it? It looks like a few caps on the amp boards need to be changed.

Great photos too!

Wow Dad, that cleaned up superbly! Very cool that you've now completed the XX1 collection!

It did!! and I'm happy to have the last piece to complete the set

Very nice unit and very nice clean-up. Are you going to re-cap it? It looks like a few caps on the amp boards need to be changed.

Great photos too!
There are a couple of caps with the heatshrink sleeving shrunk back a little, I'll probably just replace those for now and look at a recap in the future

Cheers

John

Well done John - very nice clean up.

And the repair, you certainly 'meant it' with those clamps ! - that covering (vinyl veneer?) won't be lifting after that :smoke: :D

Nothing to stop you getting a 221 anyway :scratch2:

(I need a Winter project :para:)

Nice receiver for your colection John...is now in the right hands :thmbsp:
I'm just curious,if any Sansui left in Australia? :D

The 771 was my first reciever bought new in 1975. It was rock solid and lasted through college and well into the 1980's. It was resurected about 5 years ago and accompanied my son to college.

Thanks for all the comments, much appreciated.

I must admit that I am very happy with the performance of the 771, I always thought that the only receiver worth owning in this series was the 881, but this has changed my thinking!!!

Nice receiver for your colection John...is now in the right hands :thmbsp:
I'm just curious,if any Sansui left in Australia? :D

he he, there aren't too many left.... and I have been blamed for being the cause for a jump in Sansui prices over here,,,,, lol

I love my 771 and have the matching lattice wood grill speakers. It is my "go to" stereo.

Julien

Back
Top Bottom