PICTURES- BA-2000 Restoration!

super98lsc

I purchased this amp for $99.00 as a non working "Parts" amp. As you can tell it was beat up pretty good, boards were all loose inside, none of the wiring was connected, filthy beyond belief and dented up top cover, smashed power switch. I disassembled it last night and cleaned the components. Taking inventory of what might be "missing" and what the failure mode might have been.

• I found all 4 of the main filter caps to be shot, one of them leaking badly and had eaten into the screws on the rectifier board which is mounted directly beneath the caps. All the other electrolytic caps are swollen and look pretty rough. The rectifier board has seen some heat.
  • The good news is all the parts appear to "be there" meaning i should be able to rebuild each board, and upgrade where needed.
  • The front face cleaned up nicely as did the knobs, meters and meter glass and I was able to disassemble the power switch and heat the metal and press it straight again.

Now for the pictures.

Attachments

• BA-2000 Arrived.jpg
    BA-2000 Arrived.jpg
    48.3 KB · Views: 443
  • Chassis Before 2.jpg
    Chassis Before 2.jpg
    86.6 KB · Views: 372
  • Bottom Cover before.jpg
    Bottom Cover before.jpg
    71.5 KB · Views: 292
  • Chassis Before.jpg
    Chassis Before.jpg
    80.9 KB · Views: 358
  • Board Before.jpg
    Board Before.jpg
    72.6 KB · Views: 373
Last edited:
More Pictures

Attachments

• Filter Caps.jpg
    Filter Caps.jpg
    35.2 KB · Views: 312
  • Level Control Board after cleaning.jpg
    Level Control Board after cleaning.jpg
    85.7 KB · Views: 271
  • IMG_2124.jpg
    IMG_2124.jpg
    91.5 KB · Views: 287
  • Front Panel Cleaned.jpg
    Front Panel Cleaned.jpg
    63.3 KB · Views: 291
  • Driver Board Cleaned.jpg
    Driver Board Cleaned.jpg
    81.1 KB · Views: 309
More Pictures 3

Attachments

• IMG_2137.jpg
    IMG_2137.jpg
    92 KB · Views: 268
  • IMG_2142.jpg
    IMG_2142.jpg
    91.3 KB · Views: 228
  • IMG_2151.jpg
    IMG_2151.jpg
    88.5 KB · Views: 240
  • IMG_2153.jpg
    IMG_2153.jpg
    72.9 KB · Views: 250
  • IMG_2186.jpg
    IMG_2186.jpg
    73.8 KB · Views: 265
Wow - that's a great clean up job - nice pics.

That chassis cross member - bent! - so lucky it wasn't the one with the PCB attached.

Someone has either been beating the hell out of it OR not ventilating it properly in use. :sigh: (judging by the shrunken sleeves on the electrolytics).

Last edited:
GAH….. the HORROR… ( Just in time for Halloween.. got orange meter lights? )

Do you have the protect / PS reg board? I didn't see that in the pix….

Nice work SIR!

Mike

OH OHHHHHH can i get a pix of the face of the meters ? and a measurement of the face of the meter?? PPLLEEAASSEEEE

The BA-2000 is a very nice amp, and it amazes me that someone would take such a quality piece of gear, and not look after it.

Great job on the resurrection!!

Vigman, I will take the measurements and post them this afternoon. I'll use micrometer.
Yeah someone was beyond mean to this thing. I think I have all the boards? I hope.

There it is again the red mark on the electrolytic capacitor.
Can anyone please tell me what is that mark? It is a stabile marker check , sometimes red , sometimes (mostly) black , but what is it? ? ? ? ? ?
I've seen it many times on top of electrolytic caps , but what the heck is it? ? ? ? ?

Sometimes marks like that are put there by quality inspectors, their mark to say that such and such a component is correctly orientated, or that the whole board has been checked by them and is OK.

When I had a different hat on, I used to put my test stamp on items I had tested , I can't tell you about them and nobody here will ever likely see them, but my test stamp number, registered to me, is out there...

Last edited:
I see the green check's a lot in the 5000a/x units. Figured as well it was a QC deal.

Vigman here are those meter measurements you needed. I took them with my digital micrometer both in inches and mm.

First is the meter itself the glass/plastic only not the metal bracket that attaches it to the faceplate. (also not the front glass thats glued to the front panel but the actual meter itself)
Width 100.21mm / 3.945"
Height 79.14mm / 3.115"

Depth from front glass to the rear terminals on the "motor"
47.36mm / 3.945"

This set of measurements is from the outer edges of the bracket (not the glass)
Width 145.86mm / 5.742"
Height 90.23mm / 3.551"

Hope this helps you out :)

Now to start my parts list.... this should be fun... rofl.

Yes it does Thanks for taking the time on that…
Sigh those meters are smaller than the 3K .. I was hoping the front plastic was similar.
But NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO LOL

Mike

WOW... That amp had one foot (and both hands) in the grave... Amazing work, I love seeing these resurrections.

Yes it does Thanks for taking the time on that…
Sigh those meters are smaller than the 3K .. I was hoping the front plastic was similar.
But NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO LOL

Mike

Mike 2000;s meters are different, I thought I told you that.
Only 3000's and 5000's are the same with a different scale upfront.
Sorry to disappoint you man.
When I messed with those I had a hard time too.
That's why I was looking for a mint one. When I found my second instrument I was in heaven , since I had the driving board without the instrument. ..... .

Vigman I just saw a BA 3000 meter on escam for $99.00
I sent u a PM with the link.

Crud false alarm it's for a CA-3000 :-(

Welp finished up the CA-3000 over the last holiday, so now back to completing the resurrection of this poor BA-2k that I purchased as a parts amp. Turned out it was all there except for 1 of the IC's on the driver board. Just placed the order with Mouser for the parts to arrive tomorrow :) Lots of upgrades and bigger supply caps.

That was a real mess, now I don't feel as bad about mine. Just finishing up a complete recap and pesky fuse resistors, don't forget to change those vd1212 diodes.

Thanks Ken! I am certainly glad you mentioned that as I had completely forgotten about those pests. Did you just use two 1N148s in series?

Back
Top Bottom