sansui 890 problems

maclvrbr

AK Subscriber
Subscriber
I have a sansui 890 when powering up and listening to FM I have a left channel with distorted volume and no right channel sound at all. Also when turning the volume up to 12 oclock it goes into protection. Rotating knob down and it comes out of protection. I have cleaned all switches. How to proceed. thanks in advance

Time to inspect the driver board for blow fuses & fuse resistors.
Can you read a schematic ? Can you de solder and re solder parts on a board?
( not trying to be difficult, just asking a what is your skill level question )

sansui 890-

yes I can read a schematic and desolder. I have yet to view the schematic but will soon, Sir which board should I inspect? Also which components? Thanks for the reply.

Start with the predriver.......( Not sure what the Sansui part # in on the 890 ).
You can get the print on HiFiengine.com

When you say start with the predriver, can you describe what you would like for me to check.

To confirm is this an 890 or an 890DB?
the 890 is just a blackface 8080

BUT that being said the F-2624 board is where our quest will start. ( assuming DB model ) OR F 2436 if it's a Non dolby model

So let me know that first

Oh and do you have another working amp laying about the casa that has a pre amp out to do some basic trouble shooting.

Going in … Is this receiver new to you or did you just grab it at the local boot sale ?

Do you have any history on the unit?

Have you opened it up and blown out all the dust & other demon's ?

Internal pix are a plus

I recently got this amp little history. I do have a DBT, and another receiver to use. It is an 890 not 890db. Again please verify which board to evaluate? Thanks

I have been testing the driver board and have diagnosed the fuse resistors as bad
R 29-30 390 ohm 1/4 w
R 39-40 10 ohm 1/4 w
R 43-44 22 ohm 1/4 w
R47-50 4.7 ohm 1/4W
I wanted to verify that D5-6 can be replaced with 2- 4148 diodes together for each.
Also Transistors 5,6,9,10 are bad. Also want to replace all of the caps. I would appreciate any guidance with part numbers.
C 11 and 12 100uf 80v 647-uvz2a101mpd
C7-8 100uf 10v 647-ues1a101mpm, thanks Overunder1

Verify that those transistors are really no good by removing them and testing out of circuit---
-Lee

resistors, I use metal film 1/2w 1% and have found that they are very very accurate to their resistance ratings.

This
" I have a left channel with distorted volume and no right channel sound at all. Also when turning the volume up to 12 oclock it goes into protection. Rotating knob down and it comes out of protection"
indicates a sickly driver board. Start there then we can work backwards through the rest of the receiver :)

Thanks will do. Please tell me how to determine how to match up new transistors from the old damaged transistors, resistors? Thanks

Since you have an 890 better to list the transistors and their location here to be sure no sneaky changes used in the European model. We will then cross them over for you.

sansui 890

I am using an 8080 service manual, unable to find an 890 although there is an 890db available for download. The F2436 Driver board as follows
Resistors 29-30 are 390 ohms 1/4 watt
R 39-40 10 ohm 1/4 W
R 43-44 2.2 ohm 1/4 W
Diodes 5-6 vd 1212 are 4148 two for each diode as replacement
Transistors 5-6 are 2sc818, and Trans 9-10 are 2sc1628. I hope this helps

Back
Top Bottom