Missing AU-9500 pilot light cover

davstev

I've attached two photos of a pilot light cover that I am seeking for my unit that is missing this part.

My AU-9500 is simply missing the orange plastic coloured dome and the chromed ring around it. There is a functioining lightbulb inside and it shines through the open hole. I could find a "donor" amp for this part, but I am wondering about cheaper alternatives. Or different alternatives that look good.

Looked at Digikey- didn't see anything that was small enough.

The hole is no more than 3mm wide and is not threaded.

Any ideas?

Thanks,
David

Attachments

• pilot.JPG
    pilot.JPG
    32.1 KB · Views: 85
  • Capture.jpg
    Capture.jpg
    50.3 KB · Views: 74
Last edited:
My newly acquired AU 7500 is also missing the Chrome ring for the power lamp. Mine still has the amber lens inside the face plate.
I tried Barter Towm, with no luck. So I'm also interested in alternatives. If I can't find the stock ring, I'm thinking of using a non original lamp with a green jewel to match the green dial of my TU 7500 tuner.
Another thought, I wonder if you took a small flat head aluminum rivet of the approximate same size as the original hole. Then polished the flat head end, and then cut off the other end that crimps. Just a thought.

Last edited:
My newly acquired AU 7500 is also missing the Chrome ring for the power lamp. Mine still has the amber lens inside the face plate.
I tried Barter Towm, with no luck. So I'm also interested in alternatives. If I can't find the stock ring, I'm thinking of using a non original lamp with a green jewel to match the green dial of my TU 7500 tuner.
Another thought, I wonder if you took a small flat head aluminum rivet of the approximate same size as the original hole. Then polished the flat head end, and then cut off the other end that crimps. Just a thought.

Based on what you see, is the amber lens anchored somehow inside the unit? I am wondering if mine has come loose, if it might have fallen into my unit and be loose in there somewhere, while the chrome ring surely fell away on the outside.

It's seriously hard to do a google search for this kind of thing, like the chrome ring, isn't it? Hard to find the right descriptive words for this little doohickey to match that of a potential seller.

Last edited:
I'm guessing that there's a chance that your lens is still in the case. Mine is pushed back inside behind the face plate. I haven't removed the light socket yet to see if the lens is still in one piece.
I hope someone else has a idea.
Here's a picture of mine.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    49.7 KB · Views: 59
I'm guessing that there's a chance that your lens is still in the case. Mine is pushed back inside behind the face plate. I haven't removed the light socket yet to see if the lens is still in one piece.
I hope someone else has a idea.
Here's a picture of mine.

Hey, looks a lot like mine- If we can't fix this problem we can form a support group for Sansui owners with missing pilot lights.

I'll let you know what I attempt.

David

Thanks. David, I'd appreciate any information, on how you solve the missing chrome ring power lamp issue. Regards Curt

My garage is way too cold right now, but that looks like something anybody with a small lathe could make up, maybe from stainless and a piece of amber plastic. Try to find an HSM (home shop machinist) nearby.

Can you for now just place a red LED into the opening for now?

That sorta do dad was on many models so finding a replacement thou troublesome and time consuming should eventually end in sucess.

Barney

My garage is way too cold right now, but that looks like something anybody with a small lathe could make up, maybe from stainless and a piece of amber plastic. Try to find an HSM (home shop machinist) nearby.

I have made a couple of them, but it's not easy to do, the plastic is thin to turn, the easiest trim ring is made from a flush head rivet, just drill off the head from the shank. It can take a couple of hours of messing with it to make one.

Thanks for the ideas guys. I purchased a yellow 3mm LED, and clipped off the wires protruding, right down to the base. So, it's just the coloured plastic part that remains. The LED has a bit of a rim on one end, and it catches nicely to prevent it from pushing through the hole, and the dome sticks out the front, as you'd want. So, I am onto something here.

Sure, the LED has some internal wires, but they don't show much when illuminated. The trick will be for me to find a way to secure it. I can't use a mount for the LED that goes through the hole, the LED at 3mm takes up all the space of the hole.

I'll post pics if I have success.

David

Here's what I made...

The flat head rivet is just what I was thinking of trying. I'm glad to know someone else has made one.
Also David, Good idea for the LED's for the lens. Could you show us a picture when its done?

I also am thinking of using a green lens so it will match the dial of the TU 7500 tuner. I saw on ebay a seller that has a twelve volt LED turn Signal indicator with a nice looking aluminum body. It requires a 1/4 inch hole. I sent him a message asking if he thought six volt would illuminate the lamp. He replied that he tests the lamps with a 9 volt battery and 6 volts would just make a dimmer light, and that's what I think I'd like. There are 6 volt lamps available in the same style but I'm afraid it would be to bright. My biggest problem is, I really hate to drill out the original hole to 1/4 inch. There would be no going back to stock.

Interesting, I saw this AU-6500 for sale online today. Note that it's missing its pilot light cover too! Must be an issue with the AU-*500 series.

Attachments

• 6500.JPG
    6500.JPG
    33.9 KB · Views: 38
Here's a pic of my LED so far. It fits perfectly in the hole. In fact, I wish that it was a bit smaller than the hole. In the pic, the black plastic thing is an LED socket. It's not as attractive as metal, but since the AU-*500 series is black, and there's black plastic on the knobs etc, it fits in. Not sure though how I can anchor this assembly into the hole, since the hole is too small to accomodate the LED socket. The back part of the socket is too bulky to fit through.

So if this works, while it may not look 100% authentic, it'll still look good.

Attachments

• LED.jpg
    LED.jpg
    161.5 KB · Views: 56
Here's a pic of my LED so far. It fits perfectly in the hole. In fact, I wish that it was a bit smaller than the hole. In the pic, the black plastic thing is an LED socket. It's not as attractive as metal, but since the AU-*500 series is black, and there's black plastic on the knobs etc, it fits in. Not sure though how I can anchor this assembly into the hole, since the hole is too small to accomodate the LED socket. The back part of the socket is too bulky to fit through.

So if this works, while it may not look 100% authentic, it'll still look good.

Could you mount or glue the LED to a polished flat head rivet?

Back
Top Bottom