Sansui wire harness lacing cord

I did try some thing similar here in UK, almost a 1$ a meter and was rigid and brittle when laced up and tightened. Did try something similar from a Chinese supplier was slightly better. Ended up using craft workshop tubing from Australia.

Hmmmmm this was about 7.00 USD shipped Ill try it, being vinyl it should be fairly pliable but if not ill heat it up a tad with the a heat gun once its on and tied it just needs to look the part and hold wires. :)

If it does not work I will see where i can find this craft tubing you mention.

That stuff is called PTFE tubing. Search ebay and you will see a ton from 2ga all the way down to 2mm.

I found out about this stuff from working on Matchless Guitar amps. Those are full of that tubing. They use it to cover all of the component legs because they are assembled point to point using tag strips.

Here are some links

http://www.ebay.com/itm/10M-PTFE-Te...Domain_0&var=440542216607&hash=item20ec03f62b

http://www.ebay.com/itm/PTFE-Teflon...Domain_0&var=660266702089&hash=item5af3266379

Hope that helps some.

That stuff is called PTFE tubing. Search ebay and you will see a ton from 2ga all the way down to 2mm.

I found out about this stuff from working on Matchless Guitar amps. Those are full of that tubing. They use it to cover all of the component legs because they are assembled point to point using tag strips.

Here are some links . . .

Isn't PTFE teflon? Teflon is not flexible enough for tying into small knots, in my experience. Plus it's expensive. Great for insulating bare leads, though.

I wonder whether nylon tubing would be better for the OP's application.

It's usually stiff Teflon, but there is some that's listed under the same name that's made from other materials. The stuff I used in the guitar amp was very flexible and was sold as PTFE. You could tie it in a knot as easy as a shoe lace. I'll see if I can find it.

Got something against dayglo colored zip ties? <G>

reassembly-008.jpg

Search on "clear plastic lacing" and you should find something. The stuff I've seen is solid, not tubing. No good reason to use tubing. Can't see using PTFE as it's expensive. Lots of old equipment, especially military, was laced with cord of various types. There's a technique to it, but I think the consumer stuff was just tied up in the simplest manner. I use Ty-Raps 99% of the time these days. Never tighten them too much as it damages the insulation.

That's what this discussion is about - keeping it as original looking as possible.

I too use zip ties, (only white/clear ;)) but would use the clear tubing if I could get hold of stuff exactly like the original. In a previous employment I used 'waxed string' to tie cableforms. ;)

That's what this discussion is about - keeping it as original looking as possible.

I too use zip ties, (only white/clear ;)) but would use the clear tubing if I could get hold of stuff exactly like the original. In a previous employment I used 'waxed string' to tie cableforms. ;)

Confession: I've used those green twisty things that come with Glad bags, but only on old radio equipment.

The "lace" in my CA-3000, BA-2000 and both of my AU-717 is hollow cored tubing. I will snap a few shots of it this evening with the SLR. I have yet to see anything solid core.

Ditto here ... add QR4500, QR6500, 8080db, QRX6001, and QRX9001 to the list ...

OEM hollow whit(ish) tubing all. I suppose it'd be nice to replace the ties with the same for "classical purity", but truth be told, by the time I'm done with a rebuild, it's pretty obvious somebody's been stomping around inside the case ... <G>

Lightly waxed, flat lacing cord is the way to go. Miles and miles of cable harnesses in radar systems and F4 Phantoms.

Simply tie a clove hitch around the bundle of wires and top it off with an overhand knot.

Back
Top Bottom