Sansui SP-100i

Pepa

Because of my work duties I'm not active on the forums lately.
So, as my redemption :D, here’s a speakers which aren’t mention a lot...SP-100i ...released in 1987.

These are variations of existing model:

sp-100i-h.jpg
sp-100iex-h.jpg
sp-100iexw.jpg

technical data

to see what Sansui brochure says :D

sp-100i-1.jpg

sp-100i-2.jpg

According to this catalog, and the technical aspects in it, they should be excellent :scratch2:

internal structure:

sp-100i-in.jpg

I bought them more than a year ago and left them in the basement because the seller said that one tweeter is out,and ....and I desperately needs a bit of free time :tears:

Since I am in the process of purchasing new speakers (and I have to wait them for a few weeks), I pulled SP-100i's out of the basement.

OK,let's see that burned tweeter...

13.jpg

14.jpg

Weight of the TW is pretty impressive... 1,5 kg... and is magnetically shielded

12.jpg

As you can see, around the tweeter is a rubber gasket

15.jpg

TW is fastened to a metal casting (which is fixed to the upper plate) inside the box. This means there is no solid contact with the front panel..... very advanced for the 80’s (same with the woofer...no contact with front the panel... secured to the central struts)

sp-100i-tweeter.jpg

Screws are hiding under the rubber ring... you should be careful in its removal.

11.jpg

10.jpg

I was lucky, a wire was broken between the coil and connector...fix was easy :banana:

and I lost a few pictures somewhere....damn camera :D

What to say?
They work beautifully,and my neighbors are suffering...again :D

4.jpg

2.jpg

It will be more pictures in a few days...as time permits :thmbsp:

Excellent Pepa !

Sooooo, your neighbours are suffering - but how do you like them? - do they live up to the spec's and the hype in the brochure?

Construction and speaker technology looks very good, I should imagine they sound very nice!!!

Never knew, or heard, about anyone having them.

They were a for sale in Japan item only. The speaker stands are nice too. They look very stable.

How do they sound??

Last edited:
Hi Pepa,

I've heard of, but have never heard or even seen those.

They are quite rare, and very well thought of.

Nice job fixing them!

You could make a tidy sum on those if you are willing to ship to Asia. The buyers over there are AFTER that model. Not me, no affiliation.

Excellent Pepa !
Sooooo, your neighbours are suffering

You know I'm just joking...I'm a good neighbor...volume pot is petrified at 12 oc :D

but how do you like them? - do they live up to the spec's and the hype in the brochure?

Construction and speaker technology looks very good, I should imagine they sound very nice!!!

How do they sound??

At the moment speakers are connected to AU-11000A for 48 hours,and the sound keeps getting better and better.
I don't have much free time to listen carefully (and I didn't for a few weeks,except in my car),but they sound very promising,clean,involving sound,all there,stage is great,sometimes I feel too much bass (bass port is on back side and speakers is half a meter from the walls and that could be the reason)
Next week,if any luck and some free time,I'll compare one top monitors with them and then we'll know situation.
All in all, I'm super satisfied :banana:

Very nice job, very nice repair documentation.
Tnx Peter

You could make a tidy sum on those if you are willing to ship to Asia. The buyers over there are AFTER that model
I didn't know that...If I ever decide to sell,I'ill share profits with you :thmbsp:

What B-day would be without some kind of gift?
So, I got a couple of lovely “S” presents...just in case :D

16-1.jpg

17-1.jpg

to be clear,woofer weighs 4,78 kg :yes:

18.jpg

19.jpg

20.jpg

21.jpg

You got lucky on your tweeters. The tweets on mine were fried, I don't know what the previous owner did, but the wires were broken multiple times on the voice coil. I got some thin gauge magnet wire and rewired them. They worked good for several years until one tweet developed distortion around 2000 Hz. I could not get it working properly so I replaced the tweets with some Usher 9950-20's. They sound great again, but I need to get some l-pads for them.

You got lucky on your tweeters. The tweets on mine were fried, I don't know what the previous owner did, but the wires were broken multiple times on the voice coil. I got some thin gauge magnet wire and rewired them. They worked good for several years until one tweet developed distortion around 2000 Hz. I could not get it working properly so I replaced the tweets with some Usher 9950-20's. They sound great again, but I need to get some l-pads for them.

Yes,you are right, I was lucky on tweeters...btw I saw your thread about tw and I'm sorry you couldn't fix them.

i have a pair too. And they sound very harsh . Maybe the previous owner replaced the tweeters , i cant understand . They are so harsh i used foam on the sides and even covered the tweeters with foam to make em bearable . But no luck . A bad tweeter is a bad tweeter afterall.i think sensitivity mismatch is an issue here . Need help . What to do . Ushers are not available here .....

i have a pair too. And they sound very harsh . Maybe the previous owner replaced the tweeters , i cant understand . They are so harsh i used foam on the sides and even covered the tweeters with foam to make em bearable . But no luck . A bad tweeter is a bad tweeter afterall.i think sensitivity mismatch is an issue here . Need help . What to do . Ushers are not available here .....

Please start your own thread, this one is nearly a year old.

Unless Pepa doesn't mind?

Give us a few pictures of tweeter(s) so we can judge.
If they were replaced earlier and they sounds harsh, maybe sound can be remedied with adding a resistor in series with the tweeter :scratch2:

Please start your own thread, this one is nearly a year old.

Unless Pepa doesn't mind?

I do not mind Casey, thanks for caring :thmbsp:

Back
Top Bottom