Realistic STA-960 Receiver

baj81

Prof. Music Dork
Hi everyone,

I need an objective opinion regarding a Realistic STA-960 Receiver up for sale on ebay. I once owned a unit similar to this one many years ago and was always happy with the job it did. But also up for sale on ebay is a Pioneer SX-2300. This unit is a little more powerfull at 65 W.P.C vs. 50. The Pioneer has a few more electronic bells and whistles but that's not really what I'm looking for. I want something that will be able to stand the test of time in terms of needing to be repaired. The less gadgets the better.

Comments and opinions would be greatly appreciated!

baj81 said:
Hi everyone,

I need an objective opinion regarding a Realistic STA-960 Receiver up for sale on ebay. I once owned a unit similar to this one many years ago and was always happy with the job it did. But also up for sale on ebay is a Pioneer SX-2300. This unit is a little more powerfull at 65 W.P.C vs. 50. The Pioneer has a few more electronic bells and whistles but that's not really what I'm looking for. I want something that will be able to stand the test of time in terms of needing to be repaired. The less gadgets the better.

Comments and opinions would be greatly appreciated!

With all that it out there, why have you settled on these? :scratch2:

GRZAL5MSANQ5.jpg

That's a good looking piece of gear, and I understand your emotional attachement (I'm still looking for a STA-65b).

However, the Pioneer MIGHT be easier to get repaired due to the different appreciations for Pioneer vs. Realistic receivers.

c5d6_12.JPG

After looking at that Pioneer (shades of BPC), I'd go with the Realistic (if those were my only choices).

For that kind of money, though, I say step up and get a Yamaha CR-620/820/640/840. :yes:

I own the sister-ship to the SX-2300, the SX-2700 which is rated at 65 watts/channel. It was the last of the black units I purchased. In my study, I have a Vintage Sony STR-6055 rated at 35 watts/channel and I just like the overall character of sound better. The Pioneer SX-2700 has a "lighter" sense to the music while the Sony is warmer. I prefer the warmer sound. I've been trying to latch onto a Marantz 2230, 2230B or 2245 to play with, and compare to the Sony, but so far haven't been successful.

Thanks for the info. Searching through ebay can be a daunting task. There is so much out there to look at. Part of my problem is that i'm cheap...lol. Anyway, i have to admit that the realistic does look VERY tempting.

baj81 said:
Part of my problem is that i'm cheap...lol.

Welcome to the club. ;)

A tip. Look for things that are within driving distance. Save $$ on shipping, and rest assured that you'll get it in one piece!

Hmmm....ya know that's a good idea. Especially since your average shipping costs are around $30!

If your a fan of the older RS stuff, like me, go for the STA-960! It is one of the best looking units they produced!

I know this is an old post, but just my experience with the Realistic STA-960 has been amazing. I've had mine for 30 years and it's been the most reliable and rugged piece of audio equipment anyone could ask for. After years of being used as the house stereo, it has spent the past decade..yes, decade..as my main computer's amplifier. It is only shut off for thunderstorms and a couple times of the year for out of town trips. It literally has been on for many months at a time for years and the only problem I have has was the power switch went bad. I replaced it with a toggle switch recently, gave the chassis a good blowing out with compressed air, cleaned the faceplate and knobs along with the pots and switches. It's still the best looking Realistic receiver ever made in my opinion. Here's to another 30 years! Salute!

I know this is an old post, but just my experience with the Realistic STA-960 has been amazing. I've had mine for 30 years and it's been the most reliable and rugged piece of audio equipment anyone could ask for. After years of being used as the house stereo, it has spent the past decade..yes, decade..as my main computer's amplifier. It is only shut off for thunderstorms and a couple times of the year for out of town trips. It literally has been on for many months at a time for years and the only problem I have has was the power switch went bad. I replaced it with a toggle switch recently, gave the chassis a good blowing out with compressed air, cleaned the faceplate and knobs along with the pots and switches. It's still the best looking Realistic receiver ever made in my opinion. Here's to another 30 years! Salute!
Not turning it on and did it a favor. Better on than hot cold hot cold.

Back
Top Bottom