Building Sansui 9090/990 Real wood cases

Status
Not open for further replies.

strader61

I'm the German craftsman
Just finished my first Sansui wood case for the 9090/990 That I own. I believe these would fit a 8080/880 model also. Took awhile to make all the templates, Guides, and awhile to Figure out exactly how to make this critter.
I made side mounting screw holes a bit smaller that original and used my calipers to make everything more accurate and precise. Holes are not oversized and are on the money.
Also Corrected the sides at the bottom where each should be an exact measurement from the top and correct to the feet/ base that the receiver sits on. original sides were a .062 off along the bottom. insured that this fits much tighter each way to the Aluminum face.
I made this one out of highly figured Makore. Used Teak oil on this and may give it one more coat.
Making a couple right now in Figured maple, two in figured Makore, and two in figured Mahogany. I'll post pictures when done and see what you guys/Gals think.

Attachments

• 100_7660.jpg
    100_7660.jpg
    58.5 KB · Views: 314
  • 100_7626.jpg
    100_7626.jpg
    54 KB · Views: 229
  • 100_7662.jpg
    100_7662.jpg
    72.7 KB · Views: 195
  • 100_7654.jpg
    100_7654.jpg
    78.3 KB · Views: 216
  • 100_7641.jpg
    100_7641.jpg
    59.3 KB · Views: 217
Yow, that looks fantastic! Really beautiful. I veneered the case for a 7070 that I have, but this is light years beyond. A beauty!

looks Awesome up close

Yes it does look Awesome when In person in front of it. A picture or five doesn't really do it justice. Even with a good camera. Figuring is way more evident . Colors are really nice. Thank you for all the compliments.

Just a friendly reminder that should this turn in to a sales thread it will disappear. Thank you

Grumpy

Absolutely beautiful! The workmanship is outstanding. I like to make my own cases too, when necessary. Attached pic is one I made for a Marantz 2010. I didn't incorporate a cooling grate.. figured at only 10 watts cooling not an issue.

I think working with the wood, along with the electronics, is fun - the result is nice to look at and produces beautiful music to boot! Same can be said for making speakers. :thmbsp:

How do you do the edges so beautifully? Do you use iron-on veneer for the edges? It looks great.

Attachments

• Picsxx 009s.jpg
    Picsxx 009s.jpg
    68.5 KB · Views: 83
Congrats my friend , a beautiful wood case for 9090. Beautiful work , excellent craftsmanship, would you like to do my G 22000? -G33000?
I'm waiting to see the mahogany one.
Love your work.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom