Sansui G-33000!

MikeC

Well, first time i have seen one for sale locally and the timing was right so i pulled the trigger and bought it!
Was in rough shape, but after 6 hours of cleaning it looks pretty good!
I bought it knowing that it was in protection mode, after i cleaned it all up i hooked it up and yes it has the flashing protection light.
The good thing is i have the receiver section up and running using another power amp and it sounds pretty good!
Only issue i have found is when i hit the tone switch i lose a couple db from the right channel otherwise everything else runs as it should.
All switches were cleaned with deoxit so no more scratcheyness.....
Power amp was really dirty inside, was found in a barn and the person who had it did not have a clue what it was and gave it away for free (not to me though, this is the story from the guy i bought it from and i surely did not get it for close to free).
Anyways the power amp fuses are all good and none are blown, no burnt boards etc, just filthy.
I gave it a good cleaning and it is still in protection, also the power led is out.
Any ideas where i should look to see if this could possibly be an easy fix?
Locally there is a good tech but they only do full restorations and the previous owner was quoted $800.00+ for that over the phone.
I would like to get it up and running and if needed i well have it restored.

By the way, as you know everyone knows these are big! Well untill you actually see one in person you'll still look at it and say WOW, that receiver is huge!

Oh, this is a longshot but i need a left side attachment bracket as it did not come with it.

Thanks in advance!
Mike.
:thmbsp:

Congrats! btw...

:worthless:

The protection light will continue to flash until you hook up the round plug to the power amp. There are also a few other reasons why it might be in protect..

Where are you located? I'd find someone within driving distance, you don't wanna ship it unless you have to...

Last edited:
The power indicator will not light up until the amplifier comes out of protection.

There could be a number of things which could cause this fault, but since there are no blown fuses, it may well be an easy fix......maybe.

First, there is a white ceramic resistor, its large, and not on the circuit board.
it is a 20watt 3.9Ω resistor for the soft start circuit.
You need to check this, they normally go high and prevent the amp turning on, and so it just stays in protection.

If you find the resistor is open circuit or gone high, replace it. Turn the amp on, if the main fuse blows, then there are more serious problems....

But first check it out....

I think its located near the voltage selectors and under the main fuse holders....
You have to take the bottom of the power-amp off.......

Let us know what you find........if its OK then we can try a few other things....

If you need help identifying where some of this stuff is i just happen to have mine apart at the moment. I'd be happy to post you some pictures showing you where things are.

If you need help identifying where some of this stuff is i just happen to have mine apart at the moment. I'd be happy to post you some pictures showing you where things are.
Sure, Thanks for the offer!
That would help out greatly.
Thank guys!

Sure, Thanks for the offer!
That would help out greatly.
Thank guys!

Did you check the fuses in the fuse holders which need to be opened with a screwdriver, they are above that resistor we want you to check out.....

Yes, they were fine.
I see four white 3.9 ohm 7 watt resistors below the fuse holders they are stacked on each other 2 and 2 and appear to be joined to each other, are these the ones you referred to earlier?

Just a wild guess but have you cleaned and moved the connected/separated switch ?

Good call on that, but it wont cause it to stay in protection.......
We will get it running first and then iron out the signal flow inconsistencies...

I saw that ad on Cannuckaudiomart, you pounced man...congrats on an amazing find!

Yes, they were fine.
I see four white 3.9 ohm 7 watt resistors below the fuse holders they are stacked on each other 2 and 2 and appear to be joined to each other, are these the ones you referred to earlier?

Mine has one 20 watt, my guess is they couldn't find one, so they stacked four smaller ones.. Regardless, i'd check them.

Yes, they were fine.

Should be one 20watt 3.9Ω resistor, maybe someone has done a dodgy repair or something.... They may have gone 2 in parallel and then in series to get the Ω correct....
Can you take a clear picture for us......Use the Macro setting on your camera if you have it....
Would also be a bonus if Toby could take a picture for us too.....

Is that the one that was on cam? Somewhere near Toronto, I would have loved to buy that but it was a bit too far. Hey kevzep I noticed that you don't have a g-33000 listed in your signature anymore did you get rid of it?

photobucket-61628-1362014222743_zps8ad4dae7.jpg

photobucket-69050-1362014258516_zpsdfad0936.jpg

If that resistor is bad, what reading should i have with my ohm meter?
My ohm meter seems to be not working properly as i can't get a reading at all unless i turn it to the 2000K setting.
Upon further inspection it does appear that it has been changed sometime in the past, i'll try and find the proper resistor for this amp.
All leads are tied into each other on one side and the other side the leads connect to each fuse and one to the relay.
When i plug in the amp section only the relays do not click at all when i turn the switch on...

Last edited:
If that resistor is bad, what reading should i have with my ohm meter?
My ohm meter seems to be not working properly as i can't get a reading at all unless i turn it to the 2000K setting.
Upon further inspection it does appear that it has been changed sometime in the past, i'll try and find the proper resistor for this amp.
All leads are tied into each other on one side and the other side the leads connect to each fuse and one to the relay.

I would say the resistor is bad.
For this measurement you would need to use the 200Ω range........
Or Auto range if it has one.......
But either way if you have to go over 2000KΩ then its bad.

Order a 25W 3.9Ω, Toby might have a link to mouser for that as he has just ordered one.....

Back
Top Bottom