Pictures- CA-3000 Arrived Today!!

super98lsc

Purchased a CA-3000 it arrived today well packed and in overall decent condition. Couple quick pictures during lunch but I will open it up inspect, test, and rack it up tonight after work. Cant wait to hear this thing. Imagine if it has not already been done that I will end up recapping and redoing the pass-throughs before long.

The maroon sides could use a refinish as could the jack panel in the back but overall its not in bad shape for its age.

Attachments

• 20141024_122954.jpg
    20141024_122954.jpg
    58 KB · Views: 117
  • 20141024_123002.jpg
    20141024_123002.jpg
    31.8 KB · Views: 58
  • 20141024_123017.jpg
    20141024_123017.jpg
    44.7 KB · Views: 72
  • 20141024_123024.jpg
    20141024_123024.jpg
    41.4 KB · Views: 50
  • 20141024_123044.jpg
    20141024_123044.jpg
    57.1 KB · Views: 81
Purchased a CA-3000 it arrived today well packed and in overall decent condition. Couple quick pictures during lunch but I will open it up inspect, test, and rack it up tonight after work. Cant wait to hear this thing. Imagine if it has not already been done that I will end up recapping and redoing the pass-throughs before long.

The maroon sides could use a refinish as could the jack panel in the back but overall its not in bad shape for its age.

Congrats! It doesn't look bad at all. You'll have lots of fun tonight.

Been looking for one myself...

Congratulations - top red panel looks worse than the sides, maybe the pics mask what they really look like.

Enjoy.

Yep top red is scratched up in back corners like they had something on top of it with metal feet?? Silly what people will do to high dollar gear. It sounds good but seems a bit "dead/flat" to me. The VU meters don't see input signal from tape sources but they work on output and on input mode in other sources. Phono section seems a little tame on the high end. The 40hz filter cuts the left channel out. The bass centering freq is just flat, meaning offers no change on 200Hz but works on 400/100Hz. She's a rebuilder for certain. Pass through's and 38 year old caps I presume. But nothing I cannot fix in a day or 2. :)

Don't judge my pile of old 2nd hand CDs on the top of the Denon. Those are ones I was weeding out for replacement :-/

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    71.6 KB · Views: 41
Update the phono flatness was a bad RCA cable I damaged in de-racking process. She sounds great now. Can't wait to upgrade the guts. Oh and te meter lights aren't they supposed to be green or turquoise not white?? Either way I'm changing them to an aqua of some form.

Ugh I want to hear a BA-5000! I know everyone slams Adcom but this GFA-5500 with some "mods" I have is really impressive. Accurate fast, amazing damping and controls these monster speakers of mine with a <3.2Ohm impedance without even getting slightly warm.

Last edited:
As the night evolves... Fleetwood Mac's "World Turning" just looks sounds and feels amazing with this setup!!

Nice CA 3000, they are beautiful pieces. Like Bluesky said just find that BA 5000 and you'll be set for life.

It certainly needs lot of work to get back to first youth but doable. Lights are indeed green. I'll pm you about that. Input monitor on vu meters is only on sources , not on tapes. Pass throughs are a pain to fix .
Meters calibration requires a very decent dmm, since the -40db setting requires 1,3mv input signal , so the trimmers can adjust that level on vu's.
It's a fine sounding preamp on all inputs , phono 1 has all the adjustments , up front along with the pf on the back panel. Pretty useful on mm carts. Useless on mc's. You'll find that it's RIAA filter is pretty accurate and uncoloured. Some imbalance on volume pot in the very low steps is present , at least on mine and a couple of others that I know.
Other than that there's no culprits with the QUEEN.

Very nice pre....getting hard to find in any condition, and very spendy when they become available.

IMHO that's the best there is, nothing else comes close. I had to replace the diodes in the meters circuit in mine, probably should be done before you set it up for good.

Solid build, great performer.

Very nice pre....getting hard to find in any condition, and very spendy when they become available.

IMHO that's the best there is, nothing else comes close. I had to replace the diodes in the meters circuit in mine, probably should be done before you set it up for good.

Solid build, great performer.

I'll second that.
A truly remarkable preamp , with a unique sound I can say. Since I own two of them , and the first one has only got the passthrough's done only. It runs with a ba5k every night since 1998 , when I bought it , perfectly well , uncoloured and nicely . It doesn't sound the same as the other one I have on the office system along with a ba3k though. Probably eagerly needs recapping .
The office one which is recapped btw is a beautiful pre with colours and a character that I would not part for anything. Soft relaxing sound , getting nervous when asked to. REALY nice preamp. I love the meters on it , although hard to adjust but unique.
One of the best sounding preamps if not the best from sansui's camp.

Enjoy it. :thmbsp:

Ohh and a PS.
Repainting is necessity on most of them. Easily done by a professional car painter at a modest price ,but a nice paint colour has to be acquired first along with a decent sanding .

JOMARK911, funny you mention car paint. I have about $10,000 USD in paint guns and have a side business/hobby restoring cars. Was thinking I might powder coat it though as its much more durable. Not certain how I would silk screen the lettering back onto the back panel though?

I can't wait to hear this unit when I get it redone. I will start that project over the next 2-3 wks after I finish up this BA-2000 I rescued.

And true I would love a BA-5000 and a TU-990 although Austin radio really lacks things worth tuning into.

Welcome to the hood... the filter " issues " are either switches that need spraying OR feed thrus ( and I'll bet feed thrus ) ... ENJOY ( oh and yes GREEN on the meters )
I changed mine out to LED.... A bit brighter then the bulbs and a tad greener but I LIKE IT!

JOMARK911, funny you mention car paint. I have about $10,000 USD in paint guns and have a side business/hobby restoring cars. Was thinking I might powder coat it though as its much more durable. Not certain how I would silk screen the lettering back onto the back panel though?

I can't wait to hear this unit when I get it redone. I will start that project over the next 2-3 wks after I finish up this BA-2000 I rescued.

You don't have to powder coat , a thin paint layer and a good varnish after that will make it look excellent. As for the silk screening it won't be needed either. Just mask the lettering carefully and spray a thin layer of varnish , then remove masking and reapply varnish, or spray varnish on top of it and you are done. But being into car restoration I believe you know all that.

The issue on the back panel is it appears rusty from under the surface. Only way to fix that properly would be to sand it down etch prime then paint it. But I lose lettering that way. I suppose I could print out a mask on the laser printer then cut that out of some large masking sheet tape. Then spray the white lettering back on over the new black then shoot a layer of clear over the whole thing. Seems it came from a "moist environment" thanks again on the lamps!! The ones I ordered are green festoon fuse LED. I hope I ordered correctly.

Back
Top Bottom