Childhood memory

NostalgicSan

Hello everyone,

Newbie here, with a bit of nostalgia. I grew up listening to my father's Sansui AU-222, up until we moved to a different continent, and my father decided it was time to renew the equipment (the Sansui was working fine, except for an annoying scratchy/noisy volume dial, which I always thought should be an easy fix...) That was in '83.
I've lost track of what happened to this wonderful piece of kit, and would really like to experience again that quality sound.
I've been lurking on auction sites around my place (I am located in a region that has NO proper HiFi history, so not many options around) and what is available today is a AU-2900 and 3900 for around 65 USD each, not worked on but advertised as being functional, then an AU 5500 at around 220 USD, also un-worked on.
Are these worth the price, keeping in mind that they might require at some point some work on them ? Should I wait to see if something better shows up ? Should I break the bank, and bid on a professionally refurbished unit (at around 600 USD) ?
Thanks for your answers !

NostalgicSan

Hi,

I have listen to all three listed amplifiers and you wont be dissapointed with the sound. AU 5500 will perform better then the other 2 but i can't give any comment on price.I have just added a AU 7700 to my Sansui Collection and very happy with the power and sound.

First, welcome to AudioKarma!

Here's my humble advice, subscribe for 25 bucks, and sift thru Bartertown. You'll get a better amp, better shipped and packed (VERY IMPORTANT) and more than likely it will be cheaper, AND you'll support this great site. I've never once had a bad transaction here at AK, and there is ALWAYS some good gear on BT.

Best of luck, and most importantly, don't get in a rush, do your homework, and enjoy the ride!

First, welcome to AudioKarma!

Here's my humble advice, subscribe for 25 bucks, and sift thru Bartertown. You'll get a better amp, better shipped and packed (VERY IMPORTANT) and more than likely it will be cheaper, AND you'll support this great site. I've never once had a bad transaction here at AK, and there is ALWAYS some good gear on BT.

Best of luck, and most importantly, don't get in a rush, do your homework, and enjoy the ride!

I agree, you can't beat buying from AK members......:thmbsp:

barter town is the place to go, so subscribe go forth an conquer....:yes:

Yes, don't rush......hang out here and get a feel for what the legendary models are, you'll most likely find something much better than you originally had your sights on....

Let us know how you get on....

Back
Top Bottom