My first receiver restoration attempt: G-6700.

ghazzer

Updated 9/11/2014

I finally found one, but not in the condition I wanted - It won’t power up!

The price was acceptable, and now I have a good project for the winter. Arrival pics and nudies can be seen here:

http://s1110.photobucket.com/albums/h453/ghazzer/Sansui G-6700/Arrival/

The 7A main fuse is blown and the right (not left) channel output transistors are (not open) shorted. They are also NTE replacements, so someone has been in here before. I won’t be able to tell much more until I can get my workbench cleared and get set up for this one. I got started by searching AK for related threads and ran slam into a 27 page thread by Andreslober about his G-7500 – they both have the same main board & drivers. Kevzep & Overundr1 spent nearly 4 months helping him troubleshoot his Sansui and there is a wealth of good info there. Now I need to go back and re-read it all.

I won’t be working on this every day, so my restoration may last longer. ‘Hope I enjoy it and learn a little. The first thing I have been reminded of is to watch out for counterfeit parts!

Constructive comments and suggestions are welcome. I'll need all the help I can get - - -
_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _
Location of photos or images:

"X-Ray" of F-2980 board..... - pg 2 / post #27
Corrected Bias schematic.... - pg 5 / post # 84
New jumper pins................ - pg 5 / post # 89
Re-drawn Driver Circuits..... - pg 5 / post # 95
Etched F-3058 replacements - pg 9 / post # 162
Tracks of F-2853 board....... - pg 12 / post # 231

Last edited:
Would not be the Sansui forum without a Gx700 rebuild to chew on. Get the dmm and soldering iron ready Steve, several of us enjoy the challange.
Btw once up and running they sound really good.
Lee

I am in on this one.....:thmbsp:

You say the output transistors were "open", that is not a normal way for transistors to let go, they almost always short out....

How were you measuring them? Did you take them out to measure?

Hi,

Can you recheck the link you mentioned that has the pics? seems like it doesnt work....

The link to the pics has been fixed.

I just spent about 45 minutes answering questions and telling you what I have done so far, and plan to do, when POOOOF: Photobucket crashed and caused all my iexplorer windows to reset.

Gonna crash now & try to re-construct it tomorrow (in WORD).

Getting parts during this process will be time consuming, and the Scots-Irish part of me rebels at paying S&H for each piece. My plans are to do a resistive map of the left channel driver circuits and compare it to the right channel, and plot out any failed components. Then I can order all of the replacement parts that are needed, at the same time.

I have ordered 2 pair of Sanken OP TRs (hope they are not counterfeit), and a set of 100Ω, 5W ceramic cement resistors for powered up testing later.
I need to order Mica washers and thermal grease, unless the grease I have for mounting CPU chips in a computer will work here. (???)

I have the parts for a DBT and will build one based on the excellent thread by Overload.
http://www.audiokarma.org/forums/showthread.php?t=465423

One of my first lessons learned will be to trust my notes, NOT my memory. The OP TRs were not open. You were right Kev!

All references in this thread will be to the LEFT channel, and “in circuit” unless noted otherwise.
TR 601 NTE36 LF102G: B-E = 94Ω/94Ω; B-C = 94Ω/94Ω; E-C = 0.0Ω/0.0Ω
TR 604 NTE37 LF102M: B-E = 0.0Ω/0.0Ω; B-C = 0.0Ω/0.0Ω; E-C = 0.0Ω/0.0Ω i.e. = shorted

P1020971.JPG

Seems like I am getting nowhere with my efforts to track down the BUM HUM in my CNC phono preamp. May have to move that aside and put this “mua-tha” on the bench and get started.

Last edited:
One of my first lessons learned will be to trust my notes, NOT my memory. The OP TRs were not open. You were right Kev!

All references in this thread will be to the LEFT channel, and “in circuit” unless noted otherwise.
TR 601 NTE36 LF102G: B-E = 94Ω/94Ω; B-C = 94Ω/94Ω; E-C = 0.0Ω/0.0Ω
TR 604 NTE37 LF102M: B-E = 0.0Ω/0.0Ω; B-C = 0.0Ω/0.0Ω; E-C = 0.0Ω/0.0Ω i.e. = shorted

They are both shorted, toast, finished.......:thmbsp:

When you get the new transistors we will do some Ω measurements on them, and we might be able to prove them to be the real thing....

Also bear in mind, although its good to test the driver boards as you have planned, often semiconductors will look OK on a DMM but when in circuit under load, can break down.....

Well, we're off to a good start......

BTW, here are the comparable values for the RIGHT channel:
TR 601 Sanken A1106N 98Y: B-E = 226Ω/226Ω; B-C = 21KΩ/24KΩ; E-C = 21KΩ/24KΩ
TR 604 Sanken C2581N 98Y: B-E = 226Ω/226Ω; B-C = 21KΩ/23KΩ; E-C = 20.5KΩ/23.5KΩ

If the “98Y” is a date code, it means that these are not original.

I'm thinking that it is wise to replace all 4, at this time.

BTW, here are the comparable values for the RIGHT channel:
TR 601 Sanken A1106N 98Y: B-E = 226Ω/226Ω; B-C = 21KΩ/24KΩ; E-C = 21KΩ/24KΩ
TR 604 Sanken C2581N 98Y: B-E = 226Ω/226Ω; B-C = 21KΩ/23KΩ; E-C = 20.5KΩ/23.5KΩ

If the “98Y” is a date code, it means that these are not original.

I'm thinking that it is wise to replace all 4, at this time.
It's the lot# and hFE rank; nothing to do with a date code.

Based on the research I have done so far, here are the (available) replacements I have identified. I am avioding fleabay except for the 2 pair of Sankens I have already ordered.

type...Designator............Original..........Replacement
NPN....TR01-4................2SC1845........KSC1845
PNP....TR05-8,19,20….....2SA939..........KSA1220A
NPN....TR09&10.............2SC2071........2SC2258
NPN....TR15&16.............2SC2238........MJE15032
PNP....TR17&18.............2SA968..........KSA1381
- - -
NPN....TR601(2ea).........2SC2581.........NJW3281G*
PNP....TR604(2ea).........2SA1106.........NJW1302G*

* To be used if the Sankens don't pan out.

Based on the research I have done so far, here are the (available) replacements I have identified. I am avioding fleabay except for the 2 pair of Sankens I have already ordered.

type...Designator............Original..........Replacement
NPN....TR01-4................2SC1845........KSC1845 OK
PNP....TR05-8,19,20….....2SA939..........KSA1220A I would suggest KSA1381
NPN....TR09&10.............2SC2071........2SC2258 I would suggest KSC3503
NPN....TR15&16.............2SC2238........MJE15032 OK
PNP....TR17&18.............2SA968..........KSA1381 VERY WRONG! These are the complementary drivers to the above 2SC2238. You want to use MJE15033
- - -
NPN....TR601(2ea).........2SC2581.........NJW3281G*
PNP....TR604(2ea).........2SA1106.........NJW1302G*
The output subs are certainly overkill but nothing wrong in using them. NJW0281 & NJW0302 are more than adequate.

* To be used if the Sankens don't pan out.
Looks like you got some misinformation during your research.

Thanks for the feedback. I am continuing to re-evaluate the options. There are some enticing offers on fleabay, but mostly from China and I am very leary of counterfeit parts.

The scribbled notes are piling up and it is getting tuff to keep track of the numbers. 939 & 968 are getting transposed. Some of these choices are driven by what is available at Digikey or Mouser. Some of the damn things ARE available, but the MOQ is 2,000 or more!

One main thing I need to do is to read up on the criteria of what defines a "suitable sub" for a transistor, and which parameters are more important. I suspect that the criticality of the parameter may vary with the role that a TR plays in a circuit.

Mind boggling - - -

Every single one of the subs are readily available from Mouser with no minimum quantity or order.

I could not find the 2SC2258 at Mouser, and would like to get some more info on the MJE340 before settling for that. 1W vs 20W, and I cannot find Ft.

2SC2258 is 63¢ at Digikey, but KSC1845 & KSA1381 are shown with large MOQs. I'll have to call them.

Thanks for the feedback. I am continuing to re-evaluate the options. There are some enticing offers on fleabay, but mostly from China and I am very leary of counterfeit parts.

Do try to avoid fleabay /China as the source for your replacements.

The scribbled notes are piling up and it is getting tuff to keep track of the numbers. 939 & 968 are getting transposed. Some of these choices are driven by what is available at Digikey or Mouser. Some of the damn things ARE available, but the MOQ is 2,000 or more!

One main thing I need to do is to read up on the criteria of what defines a "suitable sub" for a transistor, and which parameters are more important. I suspect that the criticality of the parameter may vary with the role that a TR plays in a circuit.

Mind boggling - - -

There is very often, although getting more difficult now, an equivalent which will fulfil all the roles of the original. Those recommended by the experts, Overload / kevzep / avionic et al, are the ones to go for.

Last edited:
I could not find the 2SC2258 at Mouser, and would like to get some more info on the MJE340 before settling for that. 1W vs 20W, and I cannot find Ft.

2SC2258 is 63¢ at Digikey, but KSC1845 & KSA1381 are shown with large MOQs. I'll have to call them.

No they aren't - you can buy any quantity from 1 upwards. (Mouser)

Back
Top Bottom