List of "black flag" caps in an AU-919?

cdfac

AK Subscriber
Subscriber
Does anyone have that list compiled? I'm in the middle of recapping a 919 and remembered hearing about these. The values are hard enough for me to read with the dust and everything, and I'd prefer to have the replacements in hand before I pull the "black flags" out. I don't trust the service manual because I already know it left out a bunch of electrolytics.

Sorry Chris...lots going on here and I totally blew off your email. My apologies.

Check your inbox.

thanks for both responses. i did a quick survey and comparison between the PCB's i can see and the manual, and it's not too far off. with the link above, EW's message, and my own eyes I should do ok. I take it there is no better option than to drop an average of $1.50/silver mica replacement (factoring in quantity discounts)?

I think the SQ of the unit and the fragility of the output devices warrants the use of the most stable devices you can find.

whew, this amp is DONE! i just need to do a bit more "reassembly." i was fortunate to find a way to minimally disassemble it -- but i can't say that saved me any time. all black flags replaced, all electros except the main filters replaced, binding posts installed on the B terminals... should be sweet, and fingers crossed that it still works when i power it up!

congrats on the resto. its a daunting task on that amp with everything packed up tight. the amp will thank you:thmbsp:

Oops, a little bit of a boo-boo with a solder bridge...or two...

Does anyone know if the four 47R resistors on the Flat Amp PCB really need to be non-inductive as listed in the SM? I'm not seeing any available on Digikey or Mouser.

Oops, a little bit of a boo-boo with a solder bridge...or two...

Does anyone know if the four 47R resistors on the Flat Amp PCB really need to be non-inductive as listed in the SM? I'm not seeing any available on Digikey or Mouser.

Ordinary metal film replacements will be fine here.

Well, the little solder bridge wasn't the problem after all... Turns out I accidentally connected the +/- supply that was supposed to go to the MM head amp PCB to the testing plug on the flat amp PCB (IMHO, that should just be 3 separate posts rather than a plug). Should have taken better notes on that though. End result was that I cooked the back end of the preamp circuit, which the test points pull from. Besides a couple resistors and transistors, I'm fortunate that every part tests great (and I nearly had all of the replacement parts in stock for once!). And the amp section was unaffected and tests/works as expected, so I put in the Mouser order for some resistors yesterday.

That could have been much worse...

Whew. Fixed it up several days ago with the new resistors from Mouser and did some limited testing, but finally fired it up last night for some "musical" testing after dialing in the voltages......and it passes with flying colors! I can definitely hear what the fuss is about with this amp :thmbsp:

I think I will eventually post my pics in a separate rebuild thread.

Glad it's all sorted out. Nice piece 'O kit, for sure.

FYI, talked to Scott a few nights ago. Wanted to know what you were up to. Ya might hear from him before too long.

Back
Top Bottom