Sansui 8080 no panel lights

mcajigal

I just acquired a Sansui 8080 receiver from a friend. Since I have a 9090DB I am exited to look into it. I connected two speakers on A and turn on the power switch. The only light in the panel that is on is green protector light and the two left and right power meter. If I turn the selector switch the phono is the only one lighted all the others are not. I connected a turntable and it works but the right channel is not as good as the left channel. Microphone is working for both channel. This means that the left and right amplifier is working. I check all the fuses in the unit and they are all OK. Any suggestion where to start so that all the function works. Where can I download schematics for this unit. Any help will greatly be appreciated.

Manny

Dial lights only come on with the tuner. If they don't, it could be a dirty selector switch. All the controls could most likely use a cleaning.

There is a modification to keep the dial lamps on all the time (while it's powered up) that you can search for on AK. very simple mod.

Rob

Dial lights only come on with the tuner. If they don't, it could be a dirty selector switch. All the controls could most likely use a cleaning.

There is a modification to keep the dial lamps on all the time (while it's powered up) that you can search for on AK. very simple mod.

Rob

Thanks for replying so quickly. I will start spraying deoxit on all the controls. I think I want the dial lamp to be on all the time when the unit is on like my 9090DB. I will search for the dial lamp modification right away. Thanks again.

I had a Kenwood receiver in which the dial lamps were always illuminated, but the pointer was illuminated when the selector was switched to tuner. Very nice feature. I wish my Sansui tuner had that feature, but the pointer is not illuminated at all.

I think the selector switch is the culprit on this one. I sprayed deoxit last night and rotated the selector switch several times but nothing happens. I am planning to remove the F-2541 board with the selector switches and clean it thoroughly. I still have to figure out how to remove the long shaft that connect to the switch. It looks like I have to slide the plastic sleeve toward the knob to remove it. I will update you guys to what I am doing on this unit. I am hoping I don't have to remove connecting wires to the board for me to expose the selector switches.

Manny

I just finished cleaning the selector switch with partially removed F-2541 board. Now all the functions are working except I still don't have panel light and the source lights. I still need to download the schematic for this unit so that I could figure out where the power for those lights are coming from.

I did the modification for this unit by moving the red wire to the next slot but nothing happens. I did a voltage measurement under the board F-2541 between this red and black wire and there is no reading. Where is this getting power from and what is the voltage of the lamps. I used to have power meter lights and now it's gone. All the fuses in the power supply are all OK. Thanks guys.

Manny

If you have no lights at all, the fuse for the light circuit is probably blown. It's not with the other fuses on the the power suppy board. It's by itself close to the front of the receiver.

- Pete

Have you checked the solder connections to the lamp holders? I know that in the 990DB/9090DB receivers that I have, the solder was broken to the lamps. Easy just to flow new clean solder to those connections.

Don't know if that is your issue though. Just a thought.

If you have no lights at all, the fuse for the light circuit is probably blown. It's not with the other fuses on the the power suppy board. It's by itself close to the front of the receiver.

- Pete

Thanks for replying. Should there be a supply voltage from the equalizer board to the light panel? I am not getting any reading. I will check the fuse this morning. Thanks again.

Manny

Have you checked the solder connections to the lamp holders? I know that in the 990DB/9090DB receivers that I have, the solder was broken to the lamps. Easy just to flow new clean solder to those connections.

Don't know if that is your issue though. Just a thought.

Thanks for replying. I will check all the solder but I think it's the voltage coming in the lamp circuit. Thanks again.

Thanks for replying. Should there be a supply voltage from the equalizer board to the light panel? I am not getting any reading. I will check the fuse this morning. Thanks again.

Manny

I just check the fuses for the panel light and they are all good. Also check signal meter fuses and they are all good. I have to concentrate where the power is coming from.

I finally got my panel lights working with modification. The culprit is the 3A, 250V fuse in the power supply section. Now my problem is the source lights such as the PHONO, FM, AM, AUX, & DOLBY FM not lighted but working. It seems that I have to go back and spray the selector switch again. Anybody knows which part of the selector switch I should be concentrating? Thanks again you guys are a great help.

Manny

I just check the fuses for the panel light and they are all good. Also check signal meter fuses and they are all good. I have to concentrate where the power is coming from.

I think you may be missing a fuse, did you check the fuses with a meter? Are you sure you found the fuse that supplies those lamps?

I think you may be missing a fuse, did you check the fuses with a meter? Are you sure you found the fuse that supplies those lamps?

Thanks for replying. Yes, you are right the 3A, 250V power supply fuse is open. This is the fuse that supply panel lamps. Yes I use digital meter for testing. But now my problem is the source lights,(PHONO, FM, AM, AUX, & DOLBY FM) it's not working. I can't find in the schematic how it is wired. Thanks again.

Manny

Thanks for replying. Yes, you are right the 3A, 250V power supply fuse is open. This is the fuse that supply panel lamps. Yes I use digital meter for testing. But now my problem is the source lights,(PHONO, FM, AM, AUX, & DOLBY FM) it's not working. I can't find in the schematic how it is wired. Thanks again.

Manny

Ok, and you replaced that fuse....I'd go back to that selector switch, re-clean it and use a nylon bristle pipe cleaner on it too {with deoxit}

Ok, and you replaced that fuse....I'd go back to that selector switch, re-clean it and use a nylon bristle pipe cleaner on it too {with deoxit}

Thanks. I will try to remove the selector switch from the board and clean it thoroughly. I will let you know the result.

Manny

I finally got my selector switched removed cleaned and put it back and still no source light. I think I will have to contend with it. This is still a nice system.

My sincere thanks to all who replied to this thread.

Manny

Back
Top Bottom