Sansui AU-X11: protection/power relay issue solved

Matbonny

Dear all,
good afternoon, I'm Matteo, I wrote in this forum a couple of years ago, when I restored a wonderful AU-X11, which is being used on a daily basis since then.

I thought you might be interested to a last work I did; since 1 year, the amp developed the following issue (well, I'd say 'warning'): when powered on, led protection blink for 4-5 secs, then speaker relay click. After that, speaker relays disengage, and engage again, sometimes with annoying popping noises also; all this for about 2-3 minutes, when the amp finally settles correctly and plays music.

I found that this was due to the power relay (it's a 2-channels 24V - 250V), which is mounted in the 'power supply - protection' board (power relay, not speaker relays). The board is on the bottom of the amp, it's necessary to put the amp upside-down in order to access it.

As contacts were dirty (or maybe relay mechanics was not in full working order, also), it was taking a while to fully engage with low resistance between contacts; meanwhile, each and every fluctuation of voltage, due to contacts settling, resulted in protection to disconnect / connect speakers. I remember I cleaned those contacts 2 years ago with sandpaper; this demonstrates that it's far better to replace the relays, than trying to clean them: it won't last for long.

So, one of the few items which I didn't replace when I restored the amp was faulty :)

After I replaced the relay, everything is going wonderfully and smootly ! I replaced the HA12002 integrated circuit also, but this was not the cause of the malfunction.

That's all ... thank you very much to everybody !

Matteo

Dear all,
good afternoon, I'm Matteo, I wrote in this forum a couple of years ago, when I restored a wonderful AU-X11, which is being used on a daily basis since then.

I thought you might be interested to a last work I did; since 1 year, the amp developed the following issue (well, I'd say 'warning'): when powered on, led protection blink for 4-5 secs, then speaker relay click. After that, speaker relays disengage, and engage again, sometimes with annoying popping noises also; all this for about 2-3 minutes, when the amp finally settles correctly and plays music.

I found that this was due to the power relay (it's a 2-channels 24V - 250V), which is mounted in the 'power supply - protection' board (power relay, not speaker relays). The board is on the bottom of the amp, it's necessary to put the amp upside-down in order to access it.

As contacts were dirty (or maybe relay mechanics was not in full working order, also), it was taking a while to fully engage with low resistance between contacts; meanwhile, each and every fluctuation of voltage, due to contacts settling, resulted in protection to disconnect / connect speakers. I remember I cleaned those contacts 2 years ago with sandpaper; this demonstrates that it's far better to replace the relays, than trying to clean them: it won't last for long.

So, one of the few items which I didn't replace when I restored the amp was faulty :)

After I replaced the relay, everything is going wonderfully and smootly ! I replaced the HA12002 integrated circuit also, but this was not the cause of the malfunction.

That's all ... thank you very much to everybody !

Matteo

hello matteo
i also got 2 AU-X11 one of them got also problems with with protector relais will see how i can fix it
cheers
Wally

Well done Matbonny ;)

Would you mind sharing the relay type number, and other details, and your supplier.

It might help someone in the future with the same issue.

Sure, please find:

- Original power relay (N.1 is needed) is a Fujitsu 'FRL264 D024 02CK', I managed to find exactly the same type here:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/FJTS-FRL-26...EW-/331303190112?ssPageName=ADME:L:OU:IT:3160

It's not equivalent, it's exactly the same (hope it will be durable) !

- I take the opportunity to report that 2 years ago I replaced the speaker relays (originally N.2 Omron 24V units were installed) with equivalent types, bought from here:

CAS - Anita van den Berg
classic audio service Ltd
Hauptstr. 31 a
96163 Gundelsheim
Germany
USt-Id. DE249547099
phone +49 (0) 9127 - 9034106
eMail service@cas-germany.com
.. I believe they've a store on Ebay too; nevertheless, I recently dropped an email to them, they did not answer ...

That's all .. I'm available for any further clarifications

Cheers

Matteo

Back
Top Bottom