What is it exactly about Sansui that causes such obsession and devotion...

DrDoomEpoch

in so many, myself included?

There will always be brand loyalty when it comes to electronics and stereo equipment. That's a given in the consumer culture that affects in some capacity, big or small.

Vintage audio has always found its way into my life somehow how ever since I was a teenager. When I was fourteen my dad gave me what I believe was a Sansui 221 or 331 he had since the mid-sevenites he must have got as payment for something mind-altering in lieu of cash. Soon I actually traded that entry level Sansui for a bunch of Clash, Ramones, and Black Sabbath records on vinyl. Pretty soon I picked up a JVC ql-F4 at a garage sale for ten bucks that I had to have its cartridge replaced (wish I kept it because these turntables fetch for a nice penny on eScam). Soon the Sansui was replaced by a Yamaha CR 1040 my dad, who once again came through in enabling his son to be a total bohemian punk rocker do an undergrad degree in philosophy instead of a straight A student who would on to law school.

Despite one of my biggest regrets of my youth being getting rid of the CR 1040, that Sansui I traded for all those amazing record will always stick out.

Fast forward to the year 2012 when I purchase a 2000x receiver in mint condition from a gentlemen on Craigslist a few years older than my dad and posses the kind of wisdom that comes from a time when things, not just audio, but were designed with perfection in mind and built like tanks in order last a short eternity.

In the last two and a half years, evident by the threads I've created here on Audio Karma, I've acquired a number of other pieces of Sansui gear that has left me more than happy, perhaps a little in awe.

I've seen other receivers/amps from the seventies from the other people we all know like Marantz, Yamahah, Sansui, Sherwood, and Luxman. Yet, it's the Sansui stuff that I'm always drawn into. For a lack of better words, it's what cranks my motor. I'm starting to feel this way about Dual turntables ever since I got my 1219, but that's an entire different thread.

So what is it exactly about Sansui receivers/amps and some of their speakers that is different from all the rest? Even their headphones, which I plan on picking up sometime soon seem magical.

Last edited:
And some would rather switch than fight. Or was it "fight than switch" in that cigarette commercial decades ago?

I started with Sansui and then discovered Yamaha. But Sansui will always be my first love.

To answer the question:

Vintage Sansuis (or insert any great brand) are built to a standard that nothing ever will be again. For mass market, anyway.

They sound good, they've got style, they've got wooden cases, glass/metal faces, and on top of all that, their purpose is to reproduce music! It's a practical toy, for God's sake. A lot of vintage things are built well, but not all them are as much fun.

It is also other brands indeed.

This goes together with guys getting old, getting tired of all the technology they have but do not feel attached to.
They want their toys for boys which they never could afford when they were young.

Technical people like me do have an advantage, despite what the sellers say, most of the equipment have issues even if sold as near mint.

Old techs, It will come "our way", one way or another ;-)

To answer the question:

Vintage Sansuis (or insert any great brand) are built to a standard that nothing ever will be again. For mass market, anyway.

^ +1
I likes Sansui a lot,but no more so than say Trio/Kenwood.. Back in their heyday,they'd build 'em to last a lifetime at the very least!

One thing that many sansui machines had, among others too, was soul.
They were designed and built in a very special way. Not to imply that other manufacturers didn't do this. It's just that sansui did it with style. Unique style.
I would say like accuphase. Another beloved manufacturer. Way more expensive though.

For me it was the research and innovation that Sansui put into their equipment. Other manufacturers built the gear and told you how wonderful it is - but Sansui told you why, and how - remember the announcement of Diamond Differential circuitry? - nobody else had that, made me think Sansui was the way to go, and when I heard the equipment that was it for me - job done.

I suppose it was really a clever marketing ploy, it appealed to my technical gearhead side all those years ago and it still does. :yes:

Last edited:
Agree with other poster's comments, and for me in particular repairing/restoring Sansui gear is like having an informal conversation with an old friend - relaxing, enjoyable and satisfying, especially having an extended listening session at the end.

Back in the day, most of the popular brands had silver faces, while Sansui higher end gear, was black. That made it stand out for me. When I took a good look at my first serious audio purchase, an AU-777, I noted that compared to other amps of similar power, it was significantly heavier.

And then, I loved the sound of that unit. So, when I wanted to get back into serious audio stuff last year, I started hunting down high end Sansui gear. I've ended up with a CA-2000, TU-9900, BA-5000 as my main system, and I totally love the sound.

Oh, and I forgot to mention, that BA-5000 is a lot heavier than a lot of gear with comparable wpc ratings. That to me speaks of build quality.

Love my 9090db and awaiting the full restoration of my AU-G99X, a very good amp that still flies under the radar, and my first true classic.

I keep seeing posts about Sansui 2000's....gotta check into that.

Yep, right on - midrange projection - they got that right.

As for looks - their black face stuff is downright beautiful - industrial design at its best: Au-555, 666, 777, 888, 999 are gems in my book and enough to make me a devotee. And then of course there is all the other great gear..... no shortage there.

Agree with all, great engineering (mostly), great style and marketed to, well, us! It's like they could read my mind. I tend to be in the "all amps sound the same" camp, but there are a lot of caveats to that. Sansui seems to have tweaked their response a bit, especially in things like the 2000x, so they don't sound the same as everything else.

Me ( in no particular order )
Artistic design.
Electronic design.
Ease of service.
Available ( and mostly accurate) documentation.
All unit's were underrated, just about EVERY Sui would out preform it's spec sheet.
On the older gear, not PVC injection moulded plastic crapola.
Has stood the test of time, 40 ish years!
How many SAE amps are still working after all this time and USE?

Back
Top Bottom