Sansui Addiction....is it for life?

ccdowenye

AK Subscriber
Subscriber
Hi,

Long time lurker of the Sansui thread. First post.

I find my addiction growing every week. I ask...is it possible to become addicted to Sansui receivers and all things Sansui?

I ask because it started with a Sansui 2000. Then shortly after another 2000 arrived on my doorstep. And then I purchased a Sansui 8080. At what point do I need to seek help? :)

I realize I have a long term addiction to Klipsch speakers. And I have done what I can to provide a home for several pairs. But this new addiction...man...its great!

35 Years so far.. Real challenge not to add more. Just in the turmoil of another AU-111 for the fun of it or CA-3000.

Q1; I am afraid yes.
Q2; It depends, if you planned a divorce in the near future anyway, then no need to seek help.

Started with a Sansui 7000, then I was able to track down an AU-717 from there I've had an AU-555A, AU-5500 I know there's a Sui next door at my neighbors that I gave them it's either a 221 or 331.

The AU-717 will never leave the others came and went and grudgingly I might add. If I were to find a Sansui today I would pick it up ASAP if the price was right.

You're pretty much stuck because the only cure is probably an addiction to some other brand, and even then you'll keep the Sansui.

Dswankey,

I am not familiar (yet) with the AU-717, but based on your evaluation I am going to do some research on it. So what did you use as a tuner and what other components did you use with the AU-717? I see that amp on that overpriced site, very expensive. What in your opinion is a fair price?

Like I said I have recently purchased the 8080 and 2 2000's, but have always liked the idea of separate components. And truth be told I plan on purchasing another 2000 as I really like them. Not too expensive, and IMHO sound really nice connected to my Klipsch.

My wife, after my last speaker purchase, has begun asking why I need so many receivers and speakers? Of course I tell her its my hobby and redirect the conversation to all the clothes in her closet. That seems to distract her for awhile :). I am hoping I can sneak in another set of the KG 3.2s or one of the KG 4 Series or possibly the KLF 20s). They seem to just find me :)

Any thoughts are be appreciated.

Last edited:
Yep… it's a life sentence you did the crime of enjoying QUALITY reproduction… Now you have to do the TIME !

Yes you are toast. I returned to the hobby just 16 months ago and have developed a serious Sansui and AR speaker addition. With professional help you may be able to slow it down but it will never stop it. Maybe we need to form an AA like AK help group?

Dswankey,

I am not familiar (yet) with the AU-717, but based on your evaluation I am going to do some research on it. So what did you use as a tuner and what other components did you use with the AU-717? I see that amp on that overpriced site, very expensive. What in your opinion is a fair price?

Like I said I have recently purchased the 8080 and 2 2000's, but have always liked the idea of separate components. And truth be told I plan on purchasing another 2000 as I really like them. Not too expensive, and IMHO sound really nice connected to my Klipsch.

My wife, after my last speaker purchase, has begun asking why I need so many receivers and speakers? Of course I tell her its my hobby and redirect the conversation to all the clothes in her closet. That seems to distract her for awhile :). I am hoping I can sneak in another set of the KG 3.2s or one of the KG 4 Series or possibly the KLF 20s). They seem to just find me :)

Any thoughts are be appreciated.

I've used the AU-717 with multiple amps, tuners etc; sorry I don't remember which.

It'll drive most speakers and effortlessly I might add. Barely have to turn the volume up. Mine is stock but I've read countless excerpts about modifying them so they will go for another 40 years. I plan on doing it at some point.

Tons of info on the vaunted AU-717 as for purchasing one I got lucky and purchased mine from my local friendly tech who had it at his shop. I paid a fair price nothing approaching what I've seen them go for on that auction site.

I have both a Sansui Au-517 (living room) and 661 (den). Absolutely love them both.

I actually just finished rebuilding a pair of KLH model 20's, and with the little (20 WPC I beleive) 661 and some good jazz, those things sound amazing!

Yes - life as you know it is over. - It takes some spousal circumnavigation to keep adding (here, Jeromach has proven to be a wise brother)

....and you haven't even had an 555, 777 or 999, nor a single digit or an x17 - you are in deep water my friend.

....in a good way of course :music::tresbon:

Broke the buying habit but ...

I'm still in love with the gear I kept. Don't work on then anymore because most of them are too heavy to lift :yes:.

Started 11 years ago with a AU999 and a TU999 pair (which I still have). I'm still using my G8000 as a daily driver and a 990DB as a part-time system. I think there is other gear around here somewhere :scratch2:.

Yes, it's for life!

Back
Top Bottom