G-22000 amplfier without the receiver

Jenkster

Bonzo!
Subscriber
Can you use the G-22000 amplifier without the G-22000 receiver section? In other words, can you hook it up and use it with a conventional pre-amp? Thanks

You can but not without modification.

Thanks, I figured there would be some kind of proprietary method of connecting the two pieces. There is an amp on the local CL for what I would think is a decent price provided there are no major issues with it. Testing it would apparently be difficult without the pre-amp/tuner section.:scratch2:

Can you even power up the amp without the head unit? You could then at least check the DC offset.

You can't power the amp up without the head unit. If memory serves, the power supply for the soft start and protection circuit is in the head unit. It seems to me there was a post some time ago on how to set it up without the head unit but it probably involves making an external power supply.

I once saw a post on ebay where one of these amps was advertised as working without the head unit. I asked how that was accomplished and he said he used rubber bands to hold the soft start and speaker relays closed!:yikes:

- Pete

All you need is a 5v power supply to power the soft start cirquit if I remember correctly . That's not the point. It can be done easily.
The point is that a part of the circuitry will be missing and will not be simulated ,unless you build it from scratch and put it in.

why not keep looking for the front end alone, they are available, I know because I bought one a couple years ago.

All you need is a 5v power supply to power the soft start cirquit if I remember correctly.
The relays in the soft start and protection circuits need 24v. That power supply is in the head unit. Its been a number of years since I was in one of these and I don't recall how much of the protection circuit is in the head unit. I would never consider powering up that amp without a functioning protection circuit.

- Pete

Sorry for the late reply guys, I was spending a mostly beautiful weekend in Santa Cruz, CA, you know, the home of the Banana Slugs.:banana: Thanks for all the info guys, I appreciate it.

This is the second time a seller has offered the amp section for sale on the local CL. As I recall, there were a couple of different stories about how he acquired it but I could be wrong. Bottom line, I am not interested.

Again, thanks, especially you Pete!:thmbsp:

Do a thread search. There was a solution for this issue posted a number of years ago.

- Pete

Back
Top Bottom