Removing top off of au 7700

tyella

I can't get the top panel off this darn AU 7700! There are screws on the back and it seems like the top should simply slide off once they are pulled, but it is firmly stuck. Am I missing something, or could the top be glued on?

There are some screws on the side panels too, remove these also and the top should come off easily, unlikely to be glued

funny enough. they are kinda slightly 'glued', basically they get a bit stuck down along the back, where the three screws came out of.
fras is right, the side panels need to come off, 2 big screws on the side and 2 small screws on the back, next to the side panel (there are 4, but only 2 need be removed, its no big thing if all are removed, I think)

it may need gentle persuasion to lift up slightly! then slides backward, as it is lipped under the front face (I think, if I remember correctly)

Thanks milkstick for better details, I don't have AU-7700, but it is similar to AU-7900, and the top and sides are one piece together.

Thanks, all. I saw screws under the side panel, but didn't think they were holding the top on.

There is some adhesive! It looks like a fabric tape of some sort. Quite a bit of pressure required to pull it off, nothing gentle about it.

Looks good inside. Is Deoxit bad to use in the source selector contacts?

I sprayed some on a Q-Tip and applied it that way. Still no love, though. :(
Fortunately phono 2 works fine. Could a capacitor have failed? It's only the phono 1 right channel. This unit is due for a recap, but I was hoping to wait until winter to do it.

Bad contacts most probably,AU 7900 top is very easy to be removed. I have tried few times to remove my earlier AU 7700 but fail,since the amplifier was fine i just leave it. Very eager to compare it with AU 7900. I have sold the AU 7700 few months ago after finding out the sound signature is very similiar.

I gave my AU-7900 the deoxit treatment the other week but, similarly, failed to sort it's Phono 1 problem (both channels). Phono 2 works fine, but does not have the variable impedance switch which Phono 1 has. I checked a picture of your 7700, and it looks like it has that switch, too, so you could also try cleaning that switch on the inside (was easy to get to in 7900). It didn't work for me though :thumbsdn:

I gave my AU-7900 the deoxit treatment the other week but, similarly, failed to sort it's Phono 1 problem (both channels). Phono 2 works fine, but does not have the variable impedance switch which Phono 1 has. I checked a picture of your 7700, and it looks like it has that switch, too, so you could also try cleaning that switch on the inside (was easy to get to in 7900). It didn't work for me though :thumbsdn:

That did the trick! I don't know why I didn't think of checking that switch, but I didn't. Thanks, fras!

The good folks at Audiokarma to the rescue, yet again.

And that glue tape is still strong. I have to wedge a screwdriver inside the unit and pry from underneath to get the top off, even after having it open. Whatever glue is in that tape, I'm going to put it in my wallet this Christmas and see if my money stays inside.

SansuiGlue_zpsa8afbb10.jpg

That's great news Tyella :thmbsp: It was really just a shot in the dark, as I had noticed it in my AU-7900. Will need to back in there and give it another go!
I see that glue tape, amazing it's still so strong after all that time. As my daughters grow up, could see myself needing some of that for my wallet soon too :)

Back
Top Bottom