Sansui 881 problem... Help.

jacob360

I have been using this receiver for about 9 years and have been really happy with it. It has now developed a progressive problem and produces zero sound in all modes. Some months ago the right channel would come on immediately and the left would take about 30 seconds to "warm up" and produce sound. Last week, the entire unit didn't produce sound until it had been powered on for 5 1/2 minutes. Yesterday it just died. It still powers on and lights up. Can anyone tell me what the culprit probably is? I'd appreciate replies in layman's terms. I am totally unsophisticated electronically. Thanks.

Hi,

It could be a few different things, and the only way to find is to to start with the easy fixes. If they don't work then you may be looking at deeper issues which may require a technician (or yourself if you are handy with electronics).

For starters I would De Ox the switches and pots. As these units gracefully age the metal contacts in the switchs and connectors gets dirty and can also form a bit of corrosion. This can cause bad and/or intermittent connection. I had a Sansui 1000X which would not play through anything except AUX, and it would drop a channel on the odd occasion. The problem was dirty switch contacts for the input selector, as well as tape monitor switchs. The De Ox fixed it.

So, for starters give that a whirl and see how you go. Go check the "De Ox" thread in these forums if you haven't used that product before.

Sansui 881 problem... help

Thanks for the response. Just received a can of Deoxit today. I'll give it a shot and hope I get lucky.

Back
Top Bottom