Updating the Capacitors in a Sansui Model 2000

AperturePrio

While glancing through the Sansui forum, I noticed quite a few members with a fondness for the Model 2000. After being fortunate enough to acquire one, I understand why!!

My next thought was to recap this 45 year old beauty, beginning with the power supply. When I started to do inventory, I noticed a number of the supply caps are values that are no longer standard (200µF, 2000µF). Can I safely increase these values by 10%? Your input would be appreciated.

Capacitors which are PSU associated should not cause too much of an issue. eg 220uF for a 200 and 2200uF for a 2000. As long as the Voltage is the same or slightly higher will not hurt. If they are fitted on the chassis with mounting clamps, then finding the right diameter to fit into the existing clamp may be a challenge or require you to buy new clamps.

You can up value by 20-30%. A few years after the 2000 came out the industry changed the standard values on the caps. So now instead of 2000, 4000 etc. you have 2200uf, 470uf etc. Caps back then had tolerances of at least +20%/- 20, up to +90%/-30%. The accepted norm today is +20/-20 for standard caps. You can get 10% and 5% caps. They will cost more.

99.9999994% of caps made today are 30-50% smaller than the originals in audio gear. Which means you go up in value/voltage to get the size you want, OR gut the original cases and stuff them with new caps. With the 2000, the Main Filter cap is a 2000uf / 75V and the output Coupling caps are 2000uf/50V. Taking them to 3300uf/100 and 2200/63 is not a problem. The replacements will fit inside of the original cans and work well. Get 105*C rated caps. With the 2000, the only way to get the size required by the clamps and staying within reality is either custom built or stuffing the cans'. There is no room under or above the chassis for individual caps. Stuffing is a good bit cheaper than Customs. There are threads on Re-Stuffing Can Caps, on the tube, Solid State and General Audio Forums. It's fairly easy and when you get done, the unit looks original.

Back
Top Bottom