Sansui QR-6500 and SP-3500

AbstractBrew

So I lost the right channel on my AU-717. (Saving up for a restoral).

In the meantime I was cruising the "bay" and ran across a qr-6500 local to me. I messaged the seller and was told that if I won in the auction, they would toss in the speakers for free. Speakers are SP-3500's. One pair.

I did win the auction, not sure at the time if it was exactly a steal though... ($251).

I go to pick them up and meet one of the nicest people around. He is the original owner, bought them while working at a Naval base back in the early 70's. Everything is in great shape. Cosmetically nice, and seemingly good electronics. I did have a minor repair on each of the woofers.

Quick, maybe stupid question.... The dials on the back of the speakers. What do they really mean? Clear/Natural/Soft. What does this change?

Overall very happy. Not sure why I seem to dig up so much negative talk about these speakers? Imaging seem really nice when near, pretty clean sound and plenty of volume. Thrilled to have this pair, and more than happy to sit and listen. Have not had the chance to try the "quadrophonic" yet as I have no media with that capability.

Might not be the deal of the century, but for the money I spent I am really happy. I don't think I could have done better for that price.

Sorry for the scattered post, listening to Dark Side Of The Moon too loudly and I may have shaken a few brain cells loose.

Quick, maybe stupid question.... The dials on the back of the speakers. What do they really mean? Clear/Natural/Soft. What does this change?

This changes the settings of the internal filter (that distibutes the signal to the woofer/mid/tweeters).
It changes the level of mids and tweeters (and therefore the mix of sound you hear). With clear the high frequencies are probably enhanced, natural is probably the factory intended setting and soft gives problably less high/mid tones.

-John-

Back
Top Bottom