Sansui D9 Help

wdrazek

AU- D9 Help Please

Hi, I picked up a pretty nice D9 with two issues I know of. First, there are a few knobs that are "squishy" when I turn them. It's kind of weird and I wonder if DeOxit might work or if I more likely need a new shaft/assembly or the like.

The other issue is more pressing and is the reason why I can't put it in the living room. The selector knob has been changed to a white plastic knob. That constitures epic fail in the decor department.

So I went to sansui-parts where I could not find the part. Then I went to Oak Tree which has a lot of Sansui receiver parts listed but not amps. On the Oak Tree site, they also warn that part substitution does not work 95% of the time.

Can anyone out there help me make this living room friendly? I really want to use it to run my Klipsch forte's.

Last edited:
Unfortunately you are not allowed to place wanted requests in this section of the forum. I believe you can place a request in 'Dollars and Sense' or alternatively in 'Barter Town' if you are a paid subscriber.

Otherwise keep scanning ebay for either the knob or a whole unit for parts or repair. In the mean time find out what other models use the same knob - this could speed things up.

If I understand you correctly, the squishy controls sound like they might have congealed grease on the shafts - be very careful with lubricants or solvents as you could ruin the 'feel' of the controls. DeOxit into the pots followed by DeOxit FaderLube (or equivalent Caig products) might be a good idea - but use them sparingly.

Good luck, and be patient, nice amplifier. :yes:

Last edited:
Thanks for the ideas. I'll try your suggestion on the "squishy" parts I have.

On the selector knob - I was not trying to troll for a part, just trying to learn what else I could use other than the plastic knob. The one site worried me - it sounded as though the knobs from another model could cause trouble... which I could not uderstand.

Aside from downloading their service manuals and comparing PN's, is there another way to find out what other models use the part?

Again, thanks.

Thanks for the ideas. I'll try your suggestion on the "squishy" parts I have.

On the selector knob - I was not trying to troll for a part, just trying to learn what else I could use other than the plastic knob. The one site worried me - it sounded as though the knobs from another model could cause trouble... which I could not uderstand.

No, I don't understand that either - the same part number knob should be the same part - although sometimes there are variations over time.

Aside from downloading their service manuals and comparing PN's, is there another way to find out what other models use the part?

Again, thanks.

Unfortunately that's about it - I know there are some knowledgable AK members who have this info in their heads.
If the knob you have is really that dreadful you could buy a new knob and use that until such time as an original turns up - otherwise, matt black paint? :)

Last edited:
My advice for you is to contact directly people from sansui-parts-shop, and tell them what you need. They've managed to find and sell to me two knobs for my AU-9900.

Back
Top Bottom