Sansui AU-919 w/blown outputs: to buy or not?

kotofei

permanent gear evolution
More often than not, listening to my all-Nakamichi current system, I remember a Sansui-5000x that I once had. It took a lot of time to restore it; however, the reward was the best 3-D soundstage of all the gear I had and the best lower midrange and speaker synergy despite just :yes: 55WPC.

In other words, I'd like to get back into Sansui getting something TOTL and restore it. Requirements are sound signature as described above, Moving Coil phono stage and ideally remote. The latter is very rare; Sansui AUX-911-DG is the only remote-controlled decent piece of gear I'm aware.

There is an AU-919 on that auction site in a very good cosmetic conditions with box and manual for $400. However, in a non-working condition. Here is the seller's description:

"This amp was taken in to be serviced due to a hum (oscillation) and it was determined that 2 of the output transistors shorted due to the thermal compound behind it had dried out. When this happened, it also caused one of the large caps to open electronically. These two components are the only ones that are needing replaced".

Output substitutions could still be found and I can do the restoration. Do you think it's worth doing for this price? Or should I go with another Sansui amp?

No idea if it's a good deal, but I can tell you that until something is completely fixed, you really don't know the total of what's wrong with it. Some repairs turn into onions, with layer after layer of issues.

at $1.61 to the £ it's less than it was 35 years ago apart from inflation of course. And as the previous contributor said, there's probably going to be more wrong with it than already discovered; if it's that straightforward why hasn't he fixed it already?

That said, given the stated "very good cosmetic condition" I wouldn't hesitate. The cosmetic condition is the hardest fix, the electronics can always be repaired one way or another...

http://classichifi.info/SansuiAU-919.shtml

The AU-919 has special outputs that are very fast. Trying to find a matching spec'ed transistor with the same case would be tough.

That said, some say that installing new, slower transistors does not make an audible difference.

There are a few threads about AU-919 outputs on AK.

Rob

Well, I missed the auction end time. Apparently, there was only one bidder.

OK, fine. Will look at Bartertown instead.

I saw that auction, IMO it was priced too high and his "good condition" description was countered with signs of rust on the back panel near the RCA jacks. I paid $225 for the one I have- blown outputs, issues in the pre and phono stage. It's all working now, took me a few evening of messing around to get it working properly- the 919 NOT a beginner unit to repair- if you have good troubleshooting skills then they can be repaired without much headache. I had to use MJ's to replace the outputs.

The ST micro outputs are as difficult to find as the originals.

Asking as I have some: Could you use the big fast Sanken Outputs like the 2SA1216/2SC2922 in that circuit say one was copying that circuit as I doubt if they could be made to fit that Sansui. Maybe with machined adapter plates they could fit.

Last edited:
My brother has an au-919 which has modern transistors that are slower than the originals. It sounds nothing short of awesome. I can't recall it sounding any different when using the original transistors. when restored the au-919 is one of the best integrated amplifiers you can buy. It received a what hi-fi 5 star rating when it was released in the UK.

Back
Top Bottom