LED's & 1000A. SHWEEEET!

larryderouin

I'm VERTICAL and Breathing...most of the time.
Subscriber
I was puttering around inside of the 1000A this morning, pulled the .33uf/600V O.D.s out that I had put in 4 years ago, and replaced them with K-73's, along with some K42Y's in the 12ax7 couplers. I had pulled my 800-C out of rotation and remembered it had custom made LED's modules that fit the 1000A. So I dropped them in. Finished up the rest of the work, powered it up, set the bias, and finally looked at the front panel.

WOW! It looked good with incandescents, but these LED Modules really make the dial face do the AT&T thing. (for you youngsters, AT&T's Advertising jingle was at one time, back in the late 70's / early 80's...... "Reach out and touch some one". )

I got them from an AK'er (can't remember who now) that had a thread about LED's on the Vintage SS Forum last summer.

These are NO FLASH, with a 100W lamp above the 1000A, with no direct
lighting on the Front face.

NOTE The DIFFERENCES in Colors between the Wording and the numbers and then the SANSUI SCRIPT. You don't get THAT with incandescents.

attachment.php

100_4433.jpg

100_4434.jpg
attachment.php

Last edited:
Larry, that was me you got the LEDs from. Beautiful lookin' Sansui!!

:tresbon:

Last edited:
Certainly brings it into the 21st century.......As much as I am not really a fan of the LED conversion, I have seen some nice ones lately, and it seems to suit this particular model.....

Thanks Guys. I turned off the lights and that blue is just plain ELECTRIC! 48yrs old and the Dial Glass looks like made y'day.

Larry, nothing beats sitting in a chair listening to your fav stereo just gazing at the dial lights on a great tuner etc with the lights off..know you know what I mean.. I do it all the time, enjoy!

I want to do that to mine ---Start a how to thread,please...
BTW --- Is the tuner pointer hard to see now?

I want to do that to mine ---Start a how to thread,please...
BTW --- Is the tuner pointer hard to see now?

Simple; Measure the length of the fuse lamps in the 1000A, and send that to AK'er CKEELER. He'll make up a pair for ya. Just pop them in and adjust so the lamps are touching the "glass" not the rubber surround. All lamp voltages on the 1000A is 6V.

The pointer is still hard to see, as the glass is lit not the background. Wish there was a pin head size that could be attached to the end of the pointer as a guide point.

Larry

Larry, is it possible to fit the pointer from a X0X0 series Sansui? I take the orange ones off of Pioneers and put X0X0 Sansui ones, with a blue LED, so the pointer is blue like the tuner dial scale and not orange(an SX-535 for example). I wonder if you could do that in this case and tie it into the lighting power supply?

Last edited:
Larry there's a 1000a on the auction site, been tempted all afternoon, looks very nice and redone. Take a look if you get time. AL

Al; Either one is gonna need some work as far as the Main can's go. Of the two, it's a wash. Although I'd be partial a bit to the one that is NOT full of JJ's. Larry

larryderouin;75811 The pointer is still hard to see said:
I was thinking of a glow in the dark white phospers (sp) like in a watch....What do you think?

I was thinking of a glow in the dark white phospers (sp) like in a watch....What do you think?

If you can find a place that will sell tritium to the public. I'd be tempted to go with CKeelers idea. I have a 9090 with a F.U. driver board, I could see if it would donate the pointer temporarily.

Thanks Larry for the look see, decided to get my 8080DB and X202B the way I want em before the 1000a

As far as the dial pointer you guys were talking about, you might be able to find a watch dial on the auction site that has Tritium. all you'd need is perhaps a round hour marker. Tritium has a shelf life though, and it would have to be charged by a light source of some sort. Also the marker lights on a watch dial only lume for a short period.

Just my 2 cents...

Back
Top Bottom