Good Amp For SR212?

moobags

On a whim recently (thanks ebay), I decided to get into the vinyl game, and bought myself an immaculate SR-212. Trouble is, I need an amp to run it through (I have a cheap Pioneer receiver for my home theatre but this just won't do).

I've been looking into something to compliment the 212 and have come across the early AU series amps (101, 505, 555A). I guess what I want is something to compliment the looks of the 212, as well as have a warm sound. It turns out i actually have an old AU-505 in my garage, but unfortunately it doesn't really work (it powers on but nothing happens through any of the inputs/speaker channels), and is in fairly rough condition. I've taken it to a local electronics guru who has said they can fix it, but it will probably cost me $200++, not to mention the state of the exterior...

Is there a big difference in sound between the 101, 505 and 555A? Is there another option which I am overlooking (EG I am fairly taken with the early Yamaha Ca xx10 series)? It doesn't necessarily have to be Sansui, but I would like to keep it in the family if possible. Also not eye-wateringly expensive!

The AU-101 and AU-555A will both sound fairly similar,but the latter will have more power. The AU-101 is a very nice warm sounding amp that'd compliment the SR-212 TT very well.

Or what about a 210 receiver?
A little less power than a AU-101 but the same warm easy going sound and a very good, if simple tuner section for a little late night radio 2 or 3!
If you need more power and inputs then a 1000X is hard to beat.

moobags, you'll have to decide if you want to get a Sansui or a Yamaha to power your speakers. Watch out, this can get addicting. One person I know started out by getting his original AU-555 back from a friend of his. From there it went uphill (or downhill, depending on how you look at it). And after collecting lots of Sansui gear that he could only dream about as a high school or college student, he took a break. And then started with Yamaha. Not sure where he ended up. Next time I see him I'll ask ;)

Happy listening:music:
John

Back
Top Bottom