Sansui 3000a or Sansui 5000x?

Ohmz

Hi all,

I own a metal case 3000a which I just got back from a check up from my tech. But, I have a lead on a real clean wood case 5000x with 90 day warranty right now. Thing is, I can only keep one.

From what I understand their sound signature is similar with the 5000x having more power and connection options.

Any opinions? Is ones built in phono better than the other, etc.?

Thank you,

Your thread prompted me to remember what was different between a 5000a and 5000x. another phono, 5 more watts, others? anyway i have a 5000a. The tuner is sweet, maybe great presence? sounds very real in the room. Mine is original, so likely needs recapping but has the updated boards. i'll sum up my non-sound speak to say that i won't get rid of it cause when i turn it on, it's got a sound signature that i recognize like an old friend. it was in my main system for quite a while, now doing other room duty.

pull the hood off the 5000x and verify it has the later style boards before you pull the trigger.
i'd like to hear a 3000a sometime, i hear they are nice as well.

found this when i was looking for differences, first time i've posted a link hope it works, title is Sansui 5000x...worth???:

http://www.audiokarma.org/forums/showthread.php?t=436901

The 3000a sounds very nice. Very good phono stage. Warmish, smooth, powerful sound. The Sony's I have seem more neutral which seem to mate well with my KLH 23's. Sansui sounds better, to me at least, on the KLH 6's and Dynacos. My opinion however.

I just keep having issues with the 3000a. Protection seems to be tripping now for what seems like no reason. Back to the shop I guess. I want a reliable Sansui in the collection and, I really like the looks of the slightly later wood case x000 series Sansui's.

Pay for another repair bill on the 3000a or, go for the 5000x? Decisions, decisions...

Thanks for the link!

The 3000A has known issues that required factory service bulletin modifications to run safely and reliably.

The 5000X is a damn fine beast (imo).

I'd fix the 3000A and move it along and get the 5000X as the longer term unit. That said, I do love the look of the 3000A.

Here's a comparison of the two receivers that might help a little taken from http://select45rpm.com/pages/hifi/top-amps.html
1970-71 Sansui 5000X receiver (F6013 version)

AS-ORIGINAL: Great-Excellent. UPGRADED: Excellent. 60w.

the 5000x with the new design F-6013 power amp is the best version of this one, the F-1040 boards on the earliest 'X' & the 'A' versions have heat sensing diodes that are fine if the amp is adjusted right, but the F-6013 is a better design! like the 4000 has the Aux through a big resistor to Phono level & into the Phono board to be amplified up again which loses fidelity. but use Tape In to bypass that instead. a very lively sounding amp that upgrades better than the Sansui 4000 that was a bit unstable if upgrades were tried & overall is just a better amp. one of the last capacitor coupled amps but that is no loss to the sound which is the best of the Sansui to use as-is & still hear a great sound. comes in either a metal case lid or a full wood case but no metal lid. proves that an amp with the least amount of transistors & least stages of NFB sounds the best, this has 3 on the tone & the power amp stage is just 7 transistors. still worth trying the Sansui 7000 & Sansui Eight of the early ranges, though the 5000X is certainly a winner and showed the 3000A up as a little lacking even needing altering! seems the 5000X is much more wanted in the USA than the 5000A, appears to have sold well & be recognised for what a great amp it is. the 3000A can do well too but needs a huge amount of work to upgrade, the 5000X isn't too much to do in comparison.

BUY-RAW RATING: Good.

Back
Top Bottom